On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 11:59 US/Eastern, Toni Hawryluk wrote:

Question : how many allergy cases does it take before consumers start
thinking :

- food 'additives'

- plastic food containers leaching ?what? into the food

- GE/GM *crap* poisoning foods that we were *used* to . . .

I don't think it's quite as simple as that... I was told (way back in my childhood) that allergies (food or otherwise) are genetic -- that we pass them on, if not always in exactly the same form. If so, then they spread like a weed (sorry, I can't remember the English term... "geometrical progression"? when you have 1 in first generation, 2 in the second, 4 in the third, etc?).

That theory seems to "square" with my own experience; my paternal grandfather had asthma, my father had food allergies and petit mal, I have food and drug allergies, though my reaction is not to the same foods as those my father reacted to. All my cousins had/have allergies, some of which show up as respiratory problems, some as skin problems. I married a guy with allergies. *All* of his children have problems, though some worse than the others (and none identical), though the child we have in common seems to be more afflicted than the others. Of his 4 children, 2 have multipled (so far) and, of their offspring, all have problems, though, again, some are more severe than others.

DH was 79 in March; he had allergy problems *long before* plastic bottles and genetic manipulation of foods. I'll be 54 in October; most of my problems always surfaced in the village, where everything was as "natural" as could be (including the fertiliser <g>). What he couldn't eat as a child, he still cannot eat; most of what I reacted to as a child, I still do not tolerate (have outgrown problems with cherries and bananas). If anything, I'm better off now than I used to be -- if it hadn't been for a chemical alternative to tetanus shots, I'd not be able to have any if I needed them; the first shot I had (bred on horse-blood) had me in emergency room (at 10) and it's a progressive allergy -- gets worse with every new application

-----
Tamara P Duvall
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]