"Tamara P. Duvall" wrote:

> I don't think it's quite as simple as that... I was told (way back in
> my childhood) that allergies (food or otherwise) are genetic -- that we
> pass them on, if not always in exactly the same form. If so, then they
> spread like a weed (sorry, I can't remember the English term...
> "geometrical progression"? when you have 1 in first generation, 2 in
> the second, 4 in the third, etc?).

There is also another theory being tested in Switzerland, I think. The
theory is that if we are protected from too many bugs when we are young,
our immune system goes overboard when we have to face these bugs as an
adult. They noticed that children who live on farms have a lower rate of
allergy than town children. The idea being tested is that exposure to
animals helps develop a better immune system. My father always believed
that a healthy child had consumed at least a bucket of dirt by the time
they were two years old.

When my children were young I gradually weaned them off having
everything sterilised before it went in their mouths before they were a
year old. My daughter is as healthy as an ox in the immune department.
In Shepparton every fourth child seems to suffer from asthma in varying
degrees. When my son gets a cold (about once a year) You will hear the
occasional soft wheeze from lung congestion. Other mothers say he has
asthma but the doctors say he is perfectly healthy. Maybe this is part
of the answer, maybe it is more complex. Something more to think about.

Regards,
Vickie in a frosty Shepparton, Australia.

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]