The packers at our supermarkets have been told that meat goes into a separate bag, but they haven't been told why, it's a rule to be blindly followed, like walking into the teeth of the traffic even when you have no chance at all of getting out of the way when you see a car coming -- so the lunch meat and the pork chops go into the same bag. Fortunately, all of them package everything in sealed containers -- not just shrink wrapped, but heat-sealed bags -- so it doesn't really matter.

Still, I prefer Aldi, where I can pack my own bags, sorting into "garage" and "kitchen" as I do so. Or pack my trunk, as I did once when I forgot to take my bags.

I'm not at all sure how that happened, since I store my bags in the trunk. DH was with me, which may have had something to do with it.

Many is the time when I parked my cart outside the restroom (so it wouldn't be unpacked and put away) and ran back out to the car for my bags.

--
Joy Beeson
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/