The idea of using a leather cover cloth could be very useful, make sure the
edge is not rough and certainly pin the leading edge of any cover cloth
tightly across the pillow to keep it low. I was interested in the experience
of using satin, I will remember it in case anyone asks me again.

 Regarding Continental versus Midlands bobbins, a close friend, exceptional
lacemaker and teacher with many years experience who has always used
Continental bobbins asked me about threads shredding as she had always had the
problem.

The important approach is to look at all the reasons we have offered, look at
how each one applies to you and hopefully you will find the culprit.  I am
sure different reasons for the shredding apply to different people and the
appropriate solution will not be the same for everyone.

Happy lacemaking

Alex