The reason I was given to use cotton rather than poly cotton fabric for
cloths was that the static from the poly cotton in some way weakens the
thread.
  I am not at all convinced by that as I don't have problems with threads

Exactly right. The idea that static electricity has anything to do with it is
a myth. From my experience (I have actually measured it) the force of static
electricity prouduced by friction between everyday articles rubbed together is
minute and incapable of doing more than waving a free end of a thread in the
air.  Think of how your hair feels on a dry day, it may stand out with the
individual hairs separating because of the force between them, but the
individual hairs will move nothing.

Happy lacemaking

Alex