francis.busscha...@telenet.be writes:

> so the threads will never ever shred on the surface the leather is
> highpolllished

Hi Francis,
Leather or plastic is nice to use with continental bobbins, where you want
them to slide, but with spangled bobbins I find that I need the slight
amount of friction between the cloth and bobbin  to be able to 'get hold' of
them.

But so long as the cloth is thin, and the bobbins aren't overwound, the
thread shouldn't touch the cloth very much anyway.  Even with leather or
plastic there is still the same risk of the leash rubbing on the edge of the
cloth.

I haven't found that the threads break because of the cloths.  They snap,
fairly cleanly, if they are handled too roughly or if they are too dry and
brittle, or they fall apart with long whiskers if they untwist.  Neither of
these are really due to the cloths.

I suspect that having your pillow at an angle contributes a lot; as someone
else pointed out, if the pillow is angled the bobbins will roll to the
lowest point and one side will twist more and the other side will untwist.  But
again, this affects unspangled bobbins more than spangled which slide rather
than roll.

Malvary worked on a pillow that was Mum's, finishing off a piece of her
lace.  Two bobbins out of all of them kept untwisting.  There were other
bobbins of the same design on the pillow - no problem with them.  One was one
of
the two fan workers - no problems with its partner.  The other was working
ground, pattern, footside - again, no problems with any other bobbins.   We
observed and analysed and puzzled.

Never did solve the mystery, unless, possibly, had been wound those two
bobbins with a different thread somehow.  But if they were, it wasn't
observable even with strong magnification.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire