Throughout this discussion I have been wondering whether the shedding
threads problem was in any way related to the use of English verses continental

bobbins. I have always used continental bobbins with bulbs on the bottom
and  wound in the continental fashion, which is opposite to the English
fashion.
I can't say I have ever noticed shredding threads to be a particular
problem, even though, by the logic that the beads on English bobbins are
essential to keep the thread from untwisting, my thread should be untwisting
and
shredding like mad as they go flying back and forth across the cover cloth,
which is not an overthought affair. One idea, perhaps the bulbs elevate the
bobbin a little off the pillow.
Could there be some relation between the direction of winding on the
bobbin, no doubt interacting with the ever elusive to me, and possibly mystical

Z twist, S twist factor of the thread? Also, I have my hitch on the bobbin
thread on the shank, whereas I notice that English lacemakers are more
likely to  have the hitch on a little groove at the top of the bobbin. Again,
theoretically, the hitch right over the thread ought to wear it out more, but
perhaps the hitch on the groove of the top of the bobbin has more pressure
on  it.
Is the shredding problem equally distributed between those who work
Continental versus those who work English style?
Devon