Anything I don't want to do is tedious. That includes housework and my job (some days). I make lace to have something productive to do with my hands. I make lace to carry on a beautiful tradition. I make lace to watch as the finished product appears from what started as mere pieces of thread.

I can't draw and I don't paint very well. My other hobbies are also creative in the same kinds of ways. I make quilts, knit and crochet, and do working on both a lathe and a scrollsaw. All of these crafts end up with something completely different looking that the mere parts with which they started.

I find sitting in a waiting room somewhere with a tatting shuttle in my hand is nearly an instant conversation starter.