Dear Anharad,

I don't know if anyone else has answered your email. I was hoping to see
some informed responses. But, as none seem to be forthcoming, I will offer an
 uninformed response. My remarks deal with the US, where there is no
lacemaking  tradition.

1. How dramatically have enrollments of young people, say under 20 fallen
in recent years?
How dramatically can you fall from practically zero? I started making lace
in 1971 when I was 16 years old with another friend. She lasted for about
two  lessons. I was unique at the time and a visit to the local IOLI chapter
resulted  in much excited discussion of "young blood". I will point out that
I am  still unique, as I never meet another person my age who started as
young as  I did. So, if there were others, they haven't kept it up for 38
years, or they  aren't involved in the International Old Lacers in a way that I
would run across  them.  I started my daughter in lacemaking when she was 6
or 7 and for a  while she seemed to enjoy it. She took some classes at the
lace convention where  she met the only other two young lacemakers, two
sisters from the west coast  whose mother was in charge of one of the
conventions. My daughter stopped  lacemaking and took up oil painting,
sculpture and
now jewelry making. The  sisters were still at it into their late teens, I
know. For one thing, my  position as publicity director of  the New Jersey
Convention in 2004  resulted in several newspaper reporters asking if there
were
any young  people at the convention, since newspaper reporters have a
particular interest  in posing people of different ages together. I started
asking if there were any  young people at the convention which resulted in a
rather hilarious series of  people reporting the sighting of young people to me
in hurried communications in  elevators or while running past me in the
halls. There were the two sisters, who  were, in fact, interviewed, and there
was another young woman who had green hair  and piercings who was reputed to
be an excellent lacemaker. I caught sight of  her, in an elevator, but too
late for the reporter to interview and I  estimated that she might be in her
twenties or thirties. As I recall, this was a  huge convention, possibly on
the order of 350 people, but no men enrolled as  students, and only 3 people
younger than, let's say, 45.

The Lost Art Lacers starts a few children in their children's classes
every year and perhaps one will continue for a while. People have noted, here
and elsewhere, that those who continue often tend to be home schooled.
Whether this has to do with a greater ability to focus as a result of home
schooling, an ability to chose to spend ones time more flexibly since one  is
not
in a formal school curriculum which dictates activities, more parental
support for the activity, or the fact that often the home environment of home
schoolers is different, ie. perhaps less TV, is a matter of debate.

2. How many professional lacemakers/artists/designers are there among you
who use bobbin lace as one of your techniques, even if only to make
prototypes?

The fact that you have not received any responses on this one suggests that
 if people are professional artists and designers they may not be on this
list.  One professional lace designer I met at a lace factory probably had no
 understanding of hand lacemaking technique, never consulted historical
lace  for ideas, and certainly never made a prototype in bobbin lace. She  said
the way she designed lace was to look at advertisements in magazines  and
see what motifs were popular, ie. roses, and then draw a design  that could
be carried out by Schiffli machines.

I am finding a new interest among twenty something young people from the
design schools around NY, and there is a young practicing artist in one of
the lace classes I attend. She was of the opinion that she was the only
person  learning lace for the purposes of using it in art. This reflects
another
interesting thing that I am observing in young people who do want to use
lace in  art, which is that they don't have any money, so they don't join lace
 organizations or receive lace publications or attend lace learning
opportunities  such as the convention, so they have no idea what other lace
artists
from around  the world are doing. I just met a person who actually supports
herself making  lace jewelry. She has been making lace jewelry and selling
it at high end craft  shows, and she did not know of the International Old
Lacers or the entire world  of lace resources until about 2 years ago. She
took one course at a craft  school, 15 years ago, and had one lace book,
(Nottingham or Southard, can't  recall) and has been making her own solutions
problems not addressed in those  sources.

There seems to be a huge divide between the hobby lacemaking world and the
artistic world. The hobby world has classes, books, lending libraries,  but
the artists seem to be going it alone. In fact, it is actually somewhat
painful to see artists re-inventing the wheel with a huge amount of effort,
and  they do not lack in effort, when many of the things they are discovering
have  already been discovered.

At the rare times that young artists take an interest in the subject,  I
almost feel like an ethnographic specimen whose ancient art form is being
discovered by a modern day artist. Weavers, on the other hand, automatically
seem to fit into the hip, artistic world. Perhaps it is because they don't
demonstrate in mob caps. (Seriously, we were trying to debrief a youngish
member  of the IOLI about why we don't have young members, and she mentioned
our  propensity for demonstrating in Prairie dresses.) I think that the term
"lace"  and the concept of oldness are linked in people's minds. In fact, at
one, really  not bad, modern art exhibit that featured modern art based on
lace, the lace  credentials of all the artists' grandmothers were given on
the story boards. I  do wonder, if we re-christened ourselves as "off loom
weaving" if we wouldn't  have more interest from the young.

It would also be very good if we could offer beginning bobbin lace courses
that are available to students in the design schools. We seem to have a
demand  for that here in the NY Metropolitan area, but we can't seem to fill it
since  there is no capable teacher who is willing to teach such a class,
due to the  problems involved in transportation of equipment. There is no
actual lace  teacher in NY. I am particularly interested in your lace teaching
in Milan.  After you start with the loop manipulated finger braiding (which I
would have no  idea how to do, but sounds very clever since you can't put
it down) what do you  do? In the US, it is the norm to start people off in
Torchon lace, and only  after the mastery of Torchon, do they attempt anything
else, ie. Milanese lace.  I think that one may lose a lot of people who
might be quite artistic by  starting with Torchon, since it is not a lace that
lends itself easily to  artistic expression. Do you have your students do an
entire torchon course as a  foundation for other laces? If not, what
progression do you follow?

<<The fact is that many people like to dedicate their time to  activities
that
require practise and study in order to do  them well, and sometimes with
the
desire to make something  that we love popular with others we reduce its
quality and in  the worst cases decline into kitsch. Lace was born as a
highly  refined fashion textile, and  (Please, nobody is to take  this
personally!!!) the most part of what we see nowadays simply  does not
reflect
that. >>

Beyond that, it seems that many people, including those putting on museum
exhibitions, do not understand that lace is a particular textile technique,
and they construe the word to mean a "thing that is white and has holes in
it".  Then they show art that has that characteristic, such as metal or
ceramic with  holes in it, rather than showing the bobbin or needle lace
technique used  in artistic and interesting ways. Again, we are hampered by the
popular concept  of what lace is, ie. white stuff with holes in it. People
seeing a piece of  modern lace in color would probably say, "where is the
lace?"
Perhaps, in fact,  it is we who are confused. Maybe lace is white stuff
with holes in it, and we  are doing a new textile art that doesn't have a name.

I will be very excited to see what the results of the Powerhouse  Museum
competition are. Since that seems to be one institution that appreciates  lace
technique, I am quite hopeful that it will bring us some exciting work. I
recall a few years ago, hearing that a lace competition in Belgium resulted
in  practically no entries using any form of lace technique, and, If I
recall  correctly, the winner had made a work consisting of a thousand white
paper origami cranes.

Devon