From: dmt11h...@aol.com
To: tat...@tat-man.net, lace@arachne.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:50:27 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] Re: Fiber familiarity

In a message dated 8/10/2010 1:04:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tat...@tat-man.net writes:

I get  the "tedious" comment no matter what handwork I am
demonstrating(tatting,  embroidery, etc.)  General public want quick, fast,
no fuss type of  projects that somehow just get done by themselves and only
require just a  glance.  Have you seen such a project???  LOL!   Short
attentions spans for sure.  Such is this world where it is so  fast you
don't
give time to slow down between life's  episodes.
But, then, why do we like it? There is something in the pleasure of it that
 we are not conveying. When I was the publicity director of the Secaucus
convention, the reporter asked me again and again if we made lace because our
 grandmothers made lace. It was clearly the story she wanted to write, but
I  don't think that is the primary reason anyone makes it.

I think I make lace because I like solving puzzles, just as my mother who
never held a needle or bobbin in her hand was a dynamite crossword puzzle
worker. In one lace class I attended, it seemed that everyone was a
compulsive puzzle solver, even attending puzzle conferences. A friend of mine
calls
it "The Mensa of the craft world", not a bad slogan in itself.

I also like bobbin lace because it is like weaving, but you don't need  a
loom and the warp isn't fixed. Unlike embroidery, you actually make the
fabric, creating it out of nothing.

I like it because of the interesting fibers you can use, and the limitless
shapes you can make.

I like the feel of the bobbins swinging like pendulums

So, what is it that we like about lacemaking and how do we convey it to
other people?

I think one massive barrier is that the word "lace" does not bring in  the
people who would be interested in a quick, portable, loomless weaving with
endless possibilities for color, shape, weave structure and three
dimensionality. Instead, the people who are attracted to "lace lessons" are
imagining that they will make yards and yards of beautiful white lace of the
refinement of the 18th century, or even yards and yards of lace like they see
mass produced, only somehow nicer. Often, it is only a massive change in
expectations that allows them to continue after they see what it is really
like,
and how unlikely the making of yardage is. Many, of course, quit as soon as
they  realize what they have really signed up for. Meanwhile, there must be
 people who would be attracted to the activity of making modern bobbin
lace, but  are not interested in making yards of white stuff, so they are not
responding to  advertisements for "bobbin lace lessons".

More and more, people are opting for contemporary looking lace, such that
old stereotypes about what a person will be doing with their lace making
hobby  are not valid.

Perhaps we should go with, "Bobbin lace, the quick, versatile, weaving
alternative that does not require a separate room in your house for a loom". Or
 "Bobbin Lace, Weaving without the hassle". Or even, "Bobbin Lace: Weaving
set  free!" Or, "Bobbin lace: Weaving on steroids".

Why do other people on the list enjoy bobbin lace? We all live in the  21st
century, after all. I can't believe we are that different than the rest of
the population. My daughter, for instance, is spending massive amounts of
time  and patience learning how to make jewelry.

Devon