Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:50 AM
To: Susan Reishus
Cc: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] Re: Architect's Linen Comparables

In message <801520.9637...@web34404.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, Susan Reishus
<elationrelat...@yahoo.com> writes
With a little research, I see successful attempts to make or replace architect's
linen has been accomplished using Weldbond glue/adhesive in a 50:50 ratio
(Weldbond to water) on brown wrapping/packaging paper (or heavier), or could be
to linen, itself.
I think most people I know have moved on to using coloured, matt where
possible, sticky backed plastic which is easily obtainable as book
covering film. I also discovered a source of clear matt adhesive plastic
in the decorating department of our local Co-op Department Store -
amongst the plastics used for covering windows and shelves. This worked
out quite a bit cheaper per metre than the coloured variety available
from lace suppliers and stationers.

My question regarding your suggestion would be why buy brown paper and
the Weldbond (even if we can get it here!) and spend time diluting,
pasting the paper and waiting for it to dry when the adhesive plastic
films work as well and are bought ready-to-use?

Query: Needlelacers, do you tend to pre-prick before sewing down your couching or outlines, or just work with your needle? I think it is easier on the hands, and helps with the execution/placement to pre-prick at times. Bobbin lacers,
do some of you pre-prick also (aside from the lace styles that are almost
exclusively done that way).

I only pre-prick for bobbin lace, and always do so (have once tried
without, and decided I prefer to have the holes ready for the pins to
find - which can be easier on the eyes!). I never pre-prick for
needlelace, as the chances of coming back up through three layers of
calico into the same hole in the pattern without taking an age to do are
very slim. You would need quite a large hole pricked to ensure the
calico doesn't close up on you between pricking and couching, even
without the possible movement of the fabric layers. (Calico in the UK
is, I believe, called muslin in the US - our muslin is a much finer,
coarser woven cloth).

--
Jane Partridge