In message <801520.9637...@web34404.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, Susan Reishus <elationrelat...@yahoo.com> writes
With a little research, I see successful attempts to make or replace architect's
linen has been accomplished using Weldbond glue/adhesive in a 50:50 ratio
(Weldbond to water) on brown wrapping/packaging paper (or heavier), or could be
to linen, itself.
I think most people I know have moved on to using coloured, matt where possible, sticky backed plastic which is easily obtainable as book covering film. I also discovered a source of clear matt adhesive plastic in the decorating department of our local Co-op Department Store - amongst the plastics used for covering windows and shelves. This worked out quite a bit cheaper per metre than the coloured variety available from lace suppliers and stationers.

My question regarding your suggestion would be why buy brown paper and the Weldbond (even if we can get it here!) and spend time diluting, pasting the paper and waiting for it to dry when the adhesive plastic films work as well and are bought ready-to-use?

Query: Needlelacers, do you tend to pre-prick before sewing down your couching
or outlines, or just work with your needle? I think it is easier on the hands,
and helps  with the execution/placement to pre-prick at times.  Bobbin lacers,
do some of you pre-prick also (aside from the lace styles that are almost
exclusively done that way).

I only pre-prick for bobbin lace, and always do so (have once tried without, and decided I prefer to have the holes ready for the pins to find - which can be easier on the eyes!). I never pre-prick for needlelace, as the chances of coming back up through three layers of calico into the same hole in the pattern without taking an age to do are very slim. You would need quite a large hole pricked to ensure the calico doesn't close up on you between pricking and couching, even without the possible movement of the fabric layers. (Calico in the UK is, I believe, called muslin in the US - our muslin is a much finer, coarser woven cloth).

--
Jane Partridge