On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:01:06 +0100,  "Craig Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Apparently the tests are being done reentrant, but not with the VIs set to
> subroutine. Both changes give the same doubling in performance- I assume
> from ditching debug and UI code internally.
>
> Does a similar speedup from ditching debug code occur naturally in a built
> app for VIs that are not reentrant? I've never noticed, but I've never
> bothered looking at the effects of things like this before.

Just be careful. The penalty of reentrancy is memory. Marking all your VI's reentrant
might give some increased processing speed but as each instance of the VI has it's own
memory space, so depending on what you're doing making all your VI's reentrant can
cripple you with memory requirements (especially with low RAM systems like FP
controllers).

I would also think that re-entrancy here is only for testing "as near to optimum",
presumably building a VI into an EXE would achive the same increase in performance as
is achieved with reentrant=TRUE, as the UI and debug code are removed then. Is that
correct Jim?

cheers, Alex.