<x-flowed>At 04:31 PM 11/29/00 -0500, Rick Onanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mike Noyes wrote:
> > I think we're drifting from the purpose LEAF was started for. I
> > thought we agreed that we weren't going to create an embedded
> > distribution. This means we wouldn't create our own kernel patches,
> > and we would remain embedded distribution neutral.
>
>Well, I know we decided to base our work not on any one specific
>distribution...but I don't recall any hard limits on waht we
>would do, either.

No hard limits, and the developers doing the work will determine what
actually gets done.

> > I thought we started this project to create network centric target
> > environments for specific purposes. I thought we were going to wait
> > for an embedded Linux distribution to include 2.4 support before
> > creating target
>
>Hmm..I suppose you're right; do we broaden our aim, or do the
>people who want to do their own 2.4 stuff start _another_ project?
>
>I think that letting it happen could only make LEAF stronger.

Disclaimer: This is just my view, and it's probably wrong.

My interpretation of the taxonomy leads me to believe that once you start
doing kernel patches you are creating an embedded distribution. I'm unsure
of the support issues it will raise. Will we then submit our patches to
Linus for inclusion in the kernel? I may be wrong, but I think this is a
can of worms we don't want to open. I think we should let Montavista,
Lineo, Lynuxworks, and Dave Cinege worry about creating kernel patches for
Linux. We can then use their patches/distributions to create our target
environments.

> > environments. I also thought we were trying to maintain the ability
> > to install the target environment on a floppy. See the taxonomy below
> > for my interpretation of the differences between LRP/Butterfly and
> > the LEAF project.
>
>Well, we certainly want to always maintain floppy-able versions
>for each of our target environments; but I'm not sure if I want
>it as a hard limit.

It's not a hard limit. Notice the "trying to maintain" string. :)

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/