On 28 Nov 2000, at 11:20, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> One major issue is exactly how to structure things:  i.e. are your
> heavily modified scripts a branch from 2.9.[7|8] or a new tree?

My scripts originated in 2.9.7; /linuxrc has almost no remains from
2.9.7 in it.  The next most heavily modified code was POSIXness; the
biggest change was that most of the functions were stripped OUT.

The changed scripts in Oxygen from 2.9.7 are basically:

/linuxrc

Now points to /var/boot/linuxrc/linuxrc which was changed drastically
for many reasons.

/etc/init.d/rc
/etc/init.d/rcS

Now support the use of /etc/rc.config to read all configuration
scripts in /etc/rc.config.d - allows selective and easy turning on
and off of init scripts, as well as allow easy interaction between
init programs (like dhcp and network and firewall....)

/etc/init.d/hostname

Now supports rdate and some bugs fixed.

/etc/profile

Now supports (in Oxygen) libsafe and has some TZ related fixes.

/var/boot/linuxrc:
linuxrc
root.dev.mk
root.dev.mod
root.dev.own
root.mklinks
root.sysconf

linuxrc is a minimalist file now; most of the work is in the others
(mostly root.sysconf).  root.sysconf is almost entirely new code, if
not completely - its job is to read /proc/cmdline and act on it -
including package loads and more.

root.mklinks is also new code; it creates links for POSIXness,
busybox, and tinylogin.

root.dev.* were modified slightly to take advantage of the following:

* chmod can take more than one file as argument: chmod 644 <files>
* the entire files output can be redirected by: exec >/dev/null
* chown can take more than one file as argument: chown <usr> <files>
* seamless support (I hope) for Disk-on-Chip was included

/sbin/unconfigured.sh
/sbin/setup.sh

These were to be used by /etc/init.d/rc; I just put them in.
unconfigured.sh sets the system up after the packages are loaded.  It
uses whichever editor is chosen, including appropriate editor
clones.... that is, if one chooses emacs, zile is used if loaded,
otherwise e3 is used with emacs emulation.  Same with vi and pico.

Then unconfigured.sh uses iselect to allow the user to select
whichever items they need to configure.

setup.sh doesn't do anything useful; I'm not sure what it would do
really - everything is DONE by then.

Did I miss anything?

I'll make up a new scripts.lrp; that should be good for anyone to use
on any system.  It'll be an "add-on" so you might be careful putting
it on a running LRP unless you want to change everything.

> Maybe this is all overkill for a handful of shell scripts, but
> since these are really what make LRP possible, and there are a very
> LARGE number of shell-scripts (POSIXness, my script based
> web-server, the entire menu configuration system, linuxrc, etc,
> etc), IMHO some sort of revision control/archive tool is warrented,
> and CVS is readily available through SF.

For a new LEAF project, I would agree - I don't think its overkill.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator