Alan,

True, no one is going to learn Linux overnight, although anyone can learn
to use Linux applications as easily as Micros~1 application.

But one doesn't learn to ski by sitting in the club house.  You learn to
ski by going up the hill and pointing the skis downhill.

LEAF is not the place to start, particularly if you're planning to use
some old hardware with likely issues of compatibility.  The place to start
is with a CD box set including a manual from RedHat or Mandrake.  They
make installation as easy on the novice as possible - sort of the bunny
slope.

Once you understand the issues of networking, card/driver matching, and
administration via files, then LEAF will be an excellent tool.  At that
point you'll be skiing with the experts and might even want to compile a
kernel just for fun.  Generally there's no need to do so otherwise.

 --
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.amplepower.com.