> Thanks for all your responses on using Dachstein as a simple DHCP server.
> decided to try swapping the eth0 (now to internal) and eth1 (now to
> external) interfaces, and comment out the eth1 statements in network.conf.
> Modifying these conf files was kind of fun. Then I modified the eth0
> interface settings to my liking, as well as dhcpd.conf and modules. In
> theory, if my common sense interpretation of editing the .conf files was
> correct, the disk should do what I want it to do. Unfortunately, I won't
be
> able to try it in the field for another week. Thanks for all your help.

It should work for you, but I'll warn you in advance there are probably a
couple other items you'll have to change.

At the very least, the dhcp server only attaches itself to the internal
network, which is hard-coded in the dhcp init script.  Go to the package
settings section of lrcfg, select dhcpd, and select the "system startup
config" file.  Change the ifs= line in this file to the interface you want
the dhcp server running on, probably ifs="eth0".  NOTE:  Dhcp options for
the clients can be changed by editing the "daemon config" file...see the man
pages on-line at my site for details on the config file format:
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/Packages/dhcpd.htm#MANPAGE

I think that's all you'll need to tweak (along with the eth0 <> eth1 swap
you did in network.conf) for dhcp to service clients on an eth0 based
internal network, but there may be something I'm forgetting...

Good luck, and holler if you run into problems!

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net