----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael D. Schleif" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] A NET question

> "Omar D. Samuels" wrote:
> >
> > Now that I'm over that hurdle and I am getting more the hang of this
mialing
> > list, I would like to dare to ask for help with another issue... please.
> >
> > I a using Eigerstein2... does anyone know if there is any way to
suppress
> > the NET messages?  They look like this:
> >
> > "NET: # messages suppressed"
> >
> > I think they are messages that come whenever the firewall blocks
something.
> > I am asking for your help please.
>
> Everybody has tap danced around your original question for a reason;
> but, nobody has come out and explained it to you.

Thanks, I was beginning to wonder if I was going crazy  :-)

> Consider this:
>
> May 19 11:09:32 trout kernel: martian source c521fea9 for fffffea9, dev
> eth1
> May 19 11:09:32 trout kernel: ll header: ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 01 03 79
> 6c a9 08 00
> May 19 11:09:36 trout kernel: NET: 6 messages suppressed.
>
> The 'NET ... suppressed' message is symptomatic of some other problem.
> Please, re-read my last sentence.
>
> In my example, above, the *real* problem is an influx of `martians' and
> `ll headers' messages.
>
> Sometimes, when the there is a flood of messages through syslogd, it
> recognizes that repetition and consolidates repeated messages, like
> this:
>
> May 19 21:34:51 trout last message repeated 3 times
>
> Can you imagine how many more messages you'd be dealing with, if it
> actually logged every one, instead of this consolidation?  Imagine if
> that number `3' was actually `3000000' ;<
>
> In your case, the kernel itself recognizes the repetition and
> consolidates repeated messages.
>
> Bottomline, if you identify the root cause of this message flooding, and
> correct it, then you will no longer witness these 'NET ... suppressed'
> messages.
Hey, y'know what, that actually makes a lot of sense.  Based on what you
have said, is it possible to turn of syslogd and stop getting those
messages?  The thing is that I don't at all mind it suppressing, but I don't
want it printing the message to screen.

> hth
>
> --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> mds
> mds resource
> 888.250.3987
>
> Dare to fix things before they break . . .
>
> Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
> think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .

Hey thanks man, I like your attitude.