> [ snip ]
>
> > > Bottomline, if you identify the root cause of this message flooding,
and
> > > correct it, then you will no longer witness these 'NET ... suppressed'
> > > messages.
>
> Please, reconsider what I am saying in the statement above.  IMHO, that
> is really what you want to do . . .
>
> > Hey, y'know what, that actually makes a lot of sense.  Based on what you
> > have said, is it possible to turn of syslogd and stop getting those
> > messages?  The thing is that I don't at all mind it suppressing, but I
don't
> > want it printing the message to screen.
>
> Yes:
>
> svi sysklogd stop
>
> However, you really do *NOT* want to do this!
>
> Look near the end of your /etc/syslog.conf -- is there something like
> these?
>
> *.emerg *
>
> *.err |/dev/console
>
> I'm not familiar with Eigerstein, so I don't know what the installed
> default it; but, on Dachstein the default is the *.emerg line.  That
> line means that any messages of priority `emerg' or higher will go to
> every local tty.  The problem is, the only severity higher than emerg is
> panic.  My point here is that the underlying cause of this message is
> probably important if it is showing up on your console.
>
> Besides, even if this message is *not* important, shutting off syslogd
> will shutdown most logging on your system.  Logging is good.  Logging
> allows you to troubleshoot things when they go wrong.  Things will go
> wrong.
>
> What do you think?

I think you are THE MAN!  I really appreciate this man.  I'm gonna give it a
try.  I don't want to really shut off syslog.  The thing is I gotta get rid
of those messages.  The box needs to, when it is installed, just sit there,
running maybe something like Sniffit, which has interface that is messed up
by the NET msgs.  I'm hoping that whatever those emergency msgs are all
about, then they will not occur when I do the final installation of the box.

I'm gonna try commenting out the *.emerg line.   Thanks again man.
I'll definitely keep you posted.