From: Charles Steinkuehler [mailto:charles@;steinkuehler.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 4:00 PM
To: Kevin; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Dachstein work laptop on home network using
WinXP

> Problem is work and home networks use DHCP, work also uses WINS with a
> static IP address.
>
> I tried to not use the work domain when booting up at home, however I
am not
> the admin so I can't change. The laptop will acquire a local IP,
however it
> also latches onto the work WINS server. The IP stack shows the
hostname to
> be legerk.corp.ccity.com on the laptop, while my home pc's show
> leger.private.netowrk as the hostname.
>
> I can access my lotus notes e-mail with the laptop connected to the
home
> network, however no other internet functions work. (i.e.. internet
explorer,
> dns, personal mail, etc)I can share files TO the laptop, however the
laptop
> can not see the other computers on the home network, nor does it see
any on
> the work domain.

Check the properties assigned to the laptop's network interface when on
your home network.  Make sure the IP, DNS and defualt gateway entries
make sense...these should be assigned via DHCP, so as long as you grab a
new dhcp lease, you should be OK.  You can force grabbing a new DHCP
lease...the command used to be "winipcfg" (pops up a GUI...click on
release then renew) or "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew"
(depending on windows version).  Hopefully one of these does something
appropriate in XP.

You might also have to assign some windows specific traits via DHCP.
Check out the dhcp options man page:
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/Packages/man/dhcp-options.5.man.htm

Specifically, you might need to set the  netbios-name-servers and/or
netbios-node-type parameters...they should let you override the settings
from the office.

With XP, there may also be some new settings you can diddle via
dhcp...they should be burreid in M$ documentation somewhere, if you can
find it (sorry, I'm not a MS guru, or I'd point you to the docs).

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net