OK, here is what I performed so far:

I changed /etc/dhcpd.conf to add this from the MAN pages:

option netbios-node-type uint8;

          The NetBIOS node type option allows NetBIOS over TCP/IP
          clients  which  are  configurable  to  be configured as
          described in RFC 1001/1002.  The value is specified  as
          a single octet which identifies the client type.

          Possible node types are:

          1    B-node: Broadcast - no WINS
          2    P-node: Peer - WINS only.
          4    M-node: Mixed - broadcast, then WINS
          8    H-node: Hybrid - WINS, then broadcast

Based on the above information, I added this line to the conf file:
option netbios-node-type 1;

I then stopped the DHCP service and restarted. Released and renewed home pc
and laptop ip's, neither had the correct broadcast type, the ip stack looked
the same as before I added the netbios-node-type.

I then checked the /etc/dhcpd.conf file and the setting is still in place
that was added.

I then edited /etc/network.conf to turn DNS on, it was set to NO
CONFIG_DNS=YES

I saved, backed-up to floppy and rebooted the router.

I then released and renewed the ip stack on both PC's, home stack shows
Broadcast network, work pc shows Hybrid

I am beginning to think WinXP does not really support two networks. Did I do
something wrong?