(again without signature as the list appears not to accept S/MIME)

Jim

Jim Ford schrieb:
> It would be convenient for me to be able to access my Linux machine on
> the network at the school where I work, from my XP machine at home
> through my Bering Leaf box. Without flogging through the many Openvpn
> docs or joining the mailing list, I thought I'd ask the question here,
> as several Leaf users seem to be doing a similar thing.
>
> As I'll be going through the school server to enter the internal
> network, I'll probably need  the network admins to make some allowance
> for this in their server configuration. What would they need to do
> before I can get started on either end of a VPN?

They could either provide you with an openvpn server at the perimeter or
 port forward the openvpn traffic (default UDP 1194) to your openvpn server.

If I was your network administrator I would probably do the first as
once you have tunneled traffic through your linux server your internal
network cannot be protected against you at the perimeter.

> If they can't or won't do what is required, then VPN would obviously be
> a non-starter!

You could set up a openvpn client on your linux machine at the school
which would try to connect to your openvpn server at home. Typically
outbound traffic is not as restricted on most sites. If outbound traffic
on 1194 is restricted you could just as well use port 80 or even go
through a http proxy. Thus you can most probably circumvent _unfriendly_
(aka professional) administrators. ( I did not tell you you should ;-) )

cheers

Erich