From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 12:57 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Relationships not Husband/Wife

Tom,

Wow! I didn't know that. I always thought of genealogy as a historical
record rather than a genetic one. Bloodlines and history are each important
in their own right. Biological traits are strictly bloodline-related, and
very important medically, and for the sake of understanding physical traits.
History is an inheritance of experience. To include it for "social" reasons
does not fit with my understanding of history. It is important for me to
understand "where I came from" beyond biological roots. The experiences of
my ancestors have a huge influence on who I am. It seems that the
genealogist's inclusion of events and notes acknowledges that. However, it
does seem perfectly reasonable, and critically important, to keep biology
and history clearly defined.

For myself, I lean towards combining them, and including everything I can
find about a person's life. So, as you say, I must be very careful to
document, document, document, and make it clear to others what kind of
database I am creating.

I'm just a bit confused by your statement about the bloodline. If a child's
father is unknown, are you saying they are not included in the bloodline of
the mother??? I don't think you meant that, but could you clarify the rules
a bit for me?

Thanks!

Judie