wrote
I've always wondered why, if all documents are linked to Legacy, the file name needs to be complex. I just number my documents consecutively - though I lead with DOC.  If I'm looking for John Smith's birth certificate, I would look at John Smith in Legacy - not try to find the file in my documents folder.  Am I missing something?

Well, if you are Claire, then so am I!

My filing system is very simple with each document given a Section (indicated by letters) and a page number. So a Birth Certificate in the "paper" file might be marked C3 because it's in the Documents & Certificates folder, Certificates section, page 3. The name of the electronic file which is the scan of that Certificate would be "C3 Birth Certificate John Doe 123" - the extra information after "C3" being to make it easy for me to recognise the contents of a file at a glance and the "123" being John Doe's RIN.

I do not use - anywhere - the MRIN, and as for using it for filing documents ... this seems to me to be extraordinarily complicated: filing some stuff with a person's parents number, other stuff with their own number! Everyone in my file as a UserID but this is partially comprised of the RIN, so John Doe's UID might be D3.123."

Every document connected to John Doe will be filed according to the nature of the document - Certificates in the Certificates & Documents folder, newspaper clippings in the Newspaper, Periodicals & Directories folder and so on and anywhere John Doe's name is mentioned his UserID will be written alongside. Where a document - let's say an e-mail from a relative - gives information about several different family members I only need ONE copy of the e-mail but I can see at a glance exactly who are all the people mentioned (by RIN or UserID) and by looking at the Source for any Fact/Event I can discover exactly where/what the relevant document/file is.

Easy!  And economical too!
--
Jenny M Benson