> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Renumbering RINS
> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:56:21 -0600
>
>> There is no way to quickly/automatically renumber all your RINs in the
>> manner you want (closest relatives, lowest RINs). You will have to do
>> it one RIN at a time. (To renumber RINs, click on Tools on the menu bar
>> and select Renumber RINs.)
>>

> You can export the close relatives to another file, then you can
> automatically renumber them all so they have low RIN numbers. Then add the
> rest of the original file, and all those numbers will be higher. You can
> even enter them in small groups, and thus set the range of numbers for each
> input. However, RIN numbers are entirely reference for the computer, so why
> bother?
>

> -- http://oscox.org
> Pioneer histories and descendants of Jonathan Upham Cox.
> Includes Orville Sutherland Cox, Frederick Walter Cox,
> Mary Elizabeth Cox Whiting and their siblings.
> Carl [EMAIL PROTECTED],net

Carl,

Whilst I do not wish to be pedantic, I guess that I'm going to be!

You say "........However, RIN numbers are entirely reference for the computer,
so why
 bother?"

I totally agree with the not bothering bit, but to say that the RINs are
entirely for the computer is not entirely accurate. If you have a look at
Individual Record, tblID in Access or Open Office, you will see that the first
two columns are headed "ID" and "IDIR" the first being the unique identity
number of the record (the individual) and the second the RIN. It is usually the
first which is exclusively used by the computer and cannot, therefore, be
adulterated by the touch of human hand. When an individual is deleted the
number in the first column is also deleted - never to be used again. It
increases by 1 everytime an individual is added.

To illustrate this I have a file called "Casuals.fdb" in which I keep some
details of people who may be connected to my tree but where I do not know.
Currently the ID column ranges from number 1 (used to hold RIN 0) then 391 to
402, whilst the IDIR contains 0 to 12 (RINs) - I have just had a clearout of
this file!

Thus, in column 1 it is not possible to rearrange the numbers, fill unused
numbers, etc. functions which are possible in column 2.

BTW as the User ID I use the RIN number with the prefix "P" (which has no
function other than to remind me it is the User ID).

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Blog: Create Your Web Pages
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

Who's friends with who and co-starred in what?
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/celebrityseparation.shtml