<<I, and I expect yourself also, have set the option "never to reuse abandoned RINs" to ensure that no problems arise and to ease updating. It does mean that I have a load of gaps. But who cares?>>

On the contrary, I try to keep all gaps filled. I often import GEDCOMs from cousins, then merge like people which leaves gaps. The next GEDCOM I import will fill those gaps, then leave more in the new addition. But I always merge to the lower number RIN. If Legacy did not merge in a consistent way I could often merge to a higher number, thus changing an established RIN. But my use of Legacy here is not your standard usage (if there is such a thing.) My web site is set up as a way for our related youngsters to find out what their ancestors went through 200 years ago, so I want all descendants.

--                            http://oscox.org
Pioneer histories and descendants of Jonathan Upham Cox.
Includes Orville Sutherland Cox, Frederick Walter Cox,
Mary Elizabeth Cox Whiting and their siblings.
Carl [EMAIL PROTECTED],net