Jenny,
My newly "combined" source does have the bullet beside it.  That's one
of the first questions I posted after I combined the sources and Geoff
responded that the bullet means the source was created with the new
Source Writer.  I thought that in itself is a great feature so that
you will know the difference.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and see exactly what I
did.  I really do think I clicked on the new source first.  Somehow it
made sense to me that if I wanted the Master Source info from one and
the detail from the other that I should click on the Master first and
then combine the details into that master.  I knew I had my backup to
rely on, in case I lost all the details.

Thanks for exploring this with me.  It's really helping me to think
through my next steps - do I wait for these quesitions to be answered
definitely, or do I keep working on my sources?  Right now, I'm just
adding new sources with the Source Writer - not doing any more
combining.

Dede