> From: kowal...@iglou.com
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Someone
> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:57:48 -0500
>
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 12:40:06 -0800, "Kirsten Bowman"
> wrote:
>
>>I'm unable to answer except to say that if the word "someone" is
>>coded into the program to be automatically added to reports when a name
>>field is left blank, then it should be fairly simple to eliminate that code
>>when a name is added.
>
> And I don't know exactly how V7 does this since I am on V6. By Brian's
> description I assumed (maybe wrongly) that Legacy added the word
> "someone" to the marriage wording AT THE TIME the marriage record was
> created. The reports are just picking up what is already there (the
> phrase "X married someone"). If this is true, then when the other half
> of the marriage gets added do you automatically want to drop the
> "someone" from that field in the marriage record? If so, then the word
> "someone" almost becomes a RESERVED WORD for the program's exclusive
> use.
>
> Like I said, I just wanted to point out a potential (probably very rare)
> problem.
>
> --
>
> Dennis Kowallek
> http://ltools.kowallekfamily.com/

Dennis,

I don't think that in v7 this works in a way which is very different to that of
v6. In certain circumstances in reports the word "someone" is inserted but I
have similarly met "Unknown" being inserted in v6. The circumstances seem to be
slightly different and I suspect it is due to the different range of options
available in v7 for the wording of marriages and partnerships in reports.

As is known, should an individual have a child and there is no existing
'marriage' then Legacy creates one, and unless told otherwise will enter "Joe
Bloggs married Unknown/someone" in reports. However there now seems to be a
change in the way that this is treated if a partner is subsequently added. I
haven't been able to pin it down but the order in which one adds partners now
seems to be more important than it once was, eg to avoid problems 'marry' the
couple before giving them children!

If the partner who is the children's other parent comes along later then it is
advisable to check and if necessary remove the unknown partner. It is not
something which has bothered me as I have always adopted this procedure -
naturally cautious :-)

Now completely revised
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

Get Windows Live Messenger on your Mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000001ukm/direct/01/