> From: ronfe...@msn.com
> To: legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Someone
> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 23:59:01 +0000
>

> Elizabeth,
>
> The procedure which you adopt should not, in my experience, lead to any
> problems. In fact it is pretty much the order in which I also enter data.
>
> I cannot see how the wife is "always" after the father - I have examples of
> having a father and not knowing the mother.

should read "of having a mother and not knowing the father" (of course)

However, that is an aside, the point being that one should excercise care when
adding a partner to an individual with children. As far as I can see the sexes
of the parent/partner does not matter.

> Others may have found the situation arising under circumstances different to
> those I have examined but I have only reproduced it when there is an unknown
> partner and a new partner is being added. As I said, I cannot pin point the
> exact conditions.
>
> I have not experienced it in my own work.
>
> Ron Ferguson

> Now completely revised
> http://www.fergys.co.uk
> View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
> http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
> For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/

>> From: erich...@worldnet.att.net
>> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Someone
>> Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 13:45:09 -0900
>>

>> Ron said:
>>
>> As is known, should an individual have a child and there is no existing
>> 'marriage' then Legacy creates one, and unless told otherwise will enter
>> "Joe Bloggs married Unknown/someone" in reports. However there now seems to
>> be a change in the way that this is treated if a partner is subsequently
>> added. I haven't been able to pin it down but the order in which one adds
>> partners now seems to be more important than it once was, eg to avoid
>> problems 'marry' the couple before giving them children!
>>

>> Ron, in v7, a very routine procedure for me:
>>
>> 1. I add a wife to a fellow already in my database
>> 2. I add the wife's father
>> 3. I add the wife's mother
>>
>> Never do I go to add new individual without knowing the relationship ahead
>> of time, so I would never add the wife's mother and father and then link to
>> an existing child. The wife, by the way, is always added subsequent to the
>> father. Not knowing how to add more than one person at a time, one is always
>> subsequent to the other. I just tested several of my people in an ancestor
>> book report and nowhere does the name "someone" appear. I'm aware that what
>> we are discussing is the case of knowing the mother, but not knowing the
>> father, then later learning the name of the father. Are people creating a
>> new person, or are they changing the name of the unknown person already
>> linked to the mother?
>>
>> Elizabeth
>> researching the descendants of William and Sarah (Patterson) Thompson

> Live Search presents Big Snap II - win John Lewis vouchers
Imagine a life without walls.  See the possibilities.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/122465943/direct/01/