Hi, Brian,

It appears that you are using FHL films, so you will probably want to use the Legacy template that allows you to enter an FHL film number and an Item number, in Step 3., Source Details.

I believe when you enter FHL film number, the repository automatically appears as "Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah".

Looking at the Library Catalog on FamilySearh.com; and searching place, Duluth, Minnesota, I see the 19 reels of film with each listed by title and FHL Film number.
.
I see that 1915/1916 and 1916 are both on the same film number
"1915/16 R. L. Polk & Co.'s Duluth directory, 1915/16... by Duluth Directory Co., Publishers - FHL US/CAN Film [ 1843979 ]" "1916 R. L. Polk & Co.'s Duluth directory, 1916... by Duluth Directory Co., Publishers - FHL US/CAN Film [ 1843979 ]"

The title I would use is what is in the film notes, example: "R. L. Polk & Co.'s Duluth directory , 1915/16", or "R. L. Polk & Co.'s Duluth directory , 1916", or whatever you are citing, so that someone else could go back verify what you are citing.

Hope that helps,
Pauline Cramer

**
Brian Beddor wrote:
Hi,
I want to cite a residence that I found on a mircI rofilm at the library.
When I select "Directories" for a Master Source, Legacy has a "Select
the Medium" menu which includes: "microfilm/fiche" and "microfilm/fiche
(microfilm publication)".  What is the difference between the two and
how do I know which one I was looking at?
For a title do I use what was on the actual microfilm or on the box that
held the microfilm?  In the library catalog it was called:
"Title     City directories of the United States, 1902-1935.
                Duluth, MN [microform]
Publisher       Woodbridge, Conn.: Research Publications, [199-?]
Other Title     Title on container: City directories of the United
States, Segment IV, 1902-1935, Duluth, MN"

Also, would the repository be the library that I used the microfilm at
or the Woodbridge, Conn location?

Also, how should I cite different years on different rolls of microfilm?
For example on roll 7 there were two directories from R. L. Polk:
"1915/1916" and "1916". Then on roll 9 there were "1921-1922" and
"1923".  Elizabeth Shown Mills in her book "Evidence Explained" in
section 12.56 talks about citing multiple years in a general citation
but I wasn't sure how to handle the different reels of microfilm.
Thanks for the help in understanding using microfilm as a source.

Brian

The information contained in this message is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, dissemination or copying of this information is prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
delete the message from your system. Thank you.