Lisa:

OK, here we go on the "splitting vs lumping" discussion.  With Legacy you *can*
have a Master Source titled "1870 US Census, Virginia, District 27, Montgomery,
Auburn, p17."  You can attach your image to that Master Source, and you can add
any details you want on the Master Source Detail tab.  The Show List option in
the Master Source List will then show everyone who uses that specific source
citation, right down to the page number.  If later you discover a new relation
on that same census page, you just select that Master Source again and apply it
to the new person.

The problem with that approach is that your Master Source List will eventually
consist of many hundreds (likely even thousands) of sources.  This is
"splitting" to the ultimate degree.  We have many dedicated splitters in the
LUG, but I've never heard of anyone carrying it to that extreme.  The source
list just becomes ridiculously long and eventually unmanageable.

Instead, most people decide to "lump" their Master Sources to some extent.  You
might decide to have any one of the following as a Master Source:

1870 US Census
1870 US Census, Virginia
1870 US Census, Virginia, XX County
or even
1870 US Census, Virginia, XX County, XX District

Depending on which one you chose, the remaining information would go in the
Detail section of the Source Clipboard as opposed to the detail section of the
Master Source itself.  This makes for a shorter and more manageable Master
Source List.  In the first example the Show List option would show you everyone
in your database who linked to the 1870 US Census, no matter what state,
county, or district (very extreme lumping).  In the second example, you would
be lumping together everyone from the 1870 census in Virginia, and in the third
you would be splitting at the county level and could see a list of everyone
found in XX County in the 1870 census for Virginia.

No matter at what point you decide to split or lump your Master Sources, once
they're set up you can copy them to the Source Clipboard at any time and apply
that Master Source to a new person.  If you've split at the county level,
however, and you find another ancestor on the same page in the same county,
then you must go back to one of the instances where you linked someone to that
particular page, copy the citation to the Source Clipboard, and apply it to the
new person.  If you decide to retype the details instead of copying, you run
the risk of creating a new source detail and will see duplicates in your
reports.  Even the difference in typing p12 vs p 12 in the detail will create a
duplicate citation.

I hope this will help to clarify.

Kirsten