Thanks, everyone, for all of your assistance!
This is a great group!!
Lisa Caldwell Garrett

Apr 12, 2010 09:04:49 PM, LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com wrote:

Hi Lisa

I think I know what you have been doing, and believe that you cannot do it in Legacy. I have always thought that the Legacy Master Lists were a misnomer - they are not "master" lists, merely lists. You can select from the lists and add notes for each application (to a person or event etc), but the notes etc are specific to that application (in the data for the individual or marriage) and do not become a sub-master list.

As I undertand Legacy you can find the application of each list entry, but cannot repeat the notes and details for another application by simply "attaching" to it - you need to enter the data again. However your question would be great converted into a suggestion for improvement.

Cheers, Brett
BMcL Robinson, Hamilton, New Zealand
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: RE: Re: [LegacyUG] Source Detail (correction re: Show List)

Hi all:
It's been great receiving all of this help and I truly appreciate it!
I don't think that anyone grasps what I'm trying to say, however, which is all my fault.
Ok, using the census as an example, in FTM, I had them all listed under years. So, under the master source of 1870, I had many, many citations listed under it:
1870 Census:
     District 17, Fincastle, Botetourt, VA; p22
     District 27, Auburn, Montgomery, VA; p17
     District 108, Roanoke, VA; p2
 etc.

So, after I had entered the original census information, I could EASILY return to the citation (Census page) and maybe enter more people on that page of the census. I have the actual census page attached to the citation and any notes that I wanted. You don't have to attach the media to each person - it's right there in the source.
I believe that you all have been referring to entering the source for the first time. And I understand what you're saying about the Source Writer. But I'm talking about AFTER you have originally entered the information, and then maybe you learn about someone else on the same page that you want to enter. You could just refer to the original source (1870 Census) and easily find the page that you want to use.

This same method could be used for books, anything that has many citations to the original source.

Using a book for an example, the source would be:
Title
    page 12
    page 17
    page 57
etc.
Here, each page could be scanned or quoted and only cited for the people to whom they apply. The scan or quote would only be attached to the person to whom they apply.

It's logical to me, but I'm still probably not explaining this correctly.

Anyone out there understand me?

Thanks!

Lisa Caldwell Garrett

Apr 12, 2010 10:42:44 AM, LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com wrote:
Kirsten wrote:

> The Show List option on the
> Master Source List screen will give you a list of all the
> individuals who use that same book as a source citation but
> it won't show you their individual source citation details,
> it only lists their ID, name, sex, etc.

Yes, but you can navigate in one or two clicks from Show List to an individual's screen, and then copy a source with its detail to the clipboard.

Or, from the Source List, you can click on Options (rather than Show List) and print a report with the citation detail, which is what I originally suggested when I thought Lisa was asking for a list of people with citation detail.

Connie