On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 07:15:17 -0800 (PST)
Thomas Passin <tbp100...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 3:39:36 AM UTC-5, stevelitt wrote:
> >

> > If you're taking notes, and you want the absolute fastest input to
> > an outline, VimOutliner's what you want. Several times I've taken
> > contemporaneous, well outlined and well organized notes while
> > attending meetings and lectures. I'm pretty sure it would be
> > trivial to create a VimOutliner to Leo converter. You get the input
> > speed of VimOutliner, and the power over your outline that Leo
> > gives you.
> >
> > I use VimOutliner as a todo list organizer, but that's just because
> > I'm not familiar enough with Leo to be efficient with it. Leo gives
> > you text metadata superior to VimOutliner's, and Leo has clones so,
> > on a shopping list, you can have the same item at Lowes and Home
> > Depot, so if one doesn't have it the other does. And if you add a
> > specification to the item, it adds it to both clones. Very nice!
> >

> I appreciate the suggestion. and I've never encountered VimOutliner.
> Please be aware that this thread is not about outliners and note
> takers, but something very different.

True. My response was to somebody who had mentioned something that was
a note-taking machine, and then after mentioning the speed of
VimOutliner, I said a little about it.

> Sometimes I have called the
> zettels - the "atoms" of the system - notes, but that's a little
> misleading.  They would be your thoughts on a matter after you have
> taken your notes and read your references.  They are decomposed into
> small, well-focused bits that you can think about and refine over
> time, and that you will link to other atoms. Over time, with the help
> of a large group of these well-linked ideas, you become more creative
> and more able to relate disparate ideas and thought that you didn't
> remember or didn't realize were related.
>
> At least, that is what the inventor and users of the system say.  And
> they did it all with a paper system, no less.  That's what we are
> hoping for here.  It's very different from taking notes or putting
> them into an outline (though that would be one way of linking the
> atoms).

I've seen https://zettelkasten.de/ and
https://zettels.info/en/int/default.asp, the latter of which requires
me to sign up just to learn anything about it (no thanks). Also
https://zettelkasten.de/posts/what-is-a-zettel/ , which looks like a
pretty good brain-operation howto to me.

Continuing on with https://zettelkasten.de/posts/what-is-a-zettel/ ,
would it be easy to create Leo nodes with:

* Short title
* Abstract
* See-also list with Leo node links
* Children with Leo node links
* Keyword list
* Pointer to the file and how to execute it

I don't know how practical it would be to search an entire Leo outline,
but if it's quick, I'd think the preceding fills the needs:

* Short title is searchable, as are the words in it
* Abstract is searchable, as are the words in it
* See-also list implements idea to idea links.
* Children implements hierarchy (drilldown)
* Keyword list is searchable
* One on-disk file to many of these Leo nodes: Select using Leo, view
  using the file's intended handler (inkscape for svg, Libreoffice for
  .odt, gvim or less for a text file (the handler would be on a node by
  node basis).

I would think this gives you all the searchability you want, and still
enables you to maintain a reasonably sized Leo file, and not lose very
important file date information.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive