> I just found the MindForger project.  This actually looks like it might do
> a lot of what we like, and very nicely.  It used to be a Linux app, but now
> there's a Windows installer too (Actually, it's a QT5 project).  It uses
> Markdown, and stores its

With Mindforger and TheBrain are being referenced, I feel it important to
also mention Joplin:

https://joplinapp.org/ - *"a free, open source note taking and to-do
application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into
notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified
either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The
notes are in Markdown format."*

I'm quite impressed with the app. It has energetic developers, a vibrant
community, and I found the install and setup process to be exceptionally
smooth and full featured. It's holding as primary contender for "could
replace Microsoft Onenote for me" spot. It is only contender because a) no
hierarchy or clones as per Leo, b) automatically downsamples images, though
I expect this lack to change soon.(Onenote doesn't have a meaningful
heiarchy either, but as incumbent it has benefit of inertia.)

My dream personal info manager and writing environment has the structural
organization and muscles of Leo, the pliable flexiblity of Joplin, plump
cushyness of Onenote, all together supported, wrapped and transported as
single solid entity like Fossil-scm. ;-)

-matt