I just found the MindForger project.  This actually looks like it might do
a lot of what we like, and very nicely.  It used to be a Linux app, but now
there's a Windows installer too (Actually, it's a QT5 project).  It uses
Markdown, and stores its data in Markdown files.  It has several types of
displays, including a mind map style.  Notes and notebooks can be cloned (I
assume the are similar in concept to Leo's clones).  Notes can have
associations with other notes, and you can create tags for notes.

I'm not too sure about importing files, but it's supposed to be able to
import MD files or directories, which means it should import text files,
too, though the files may have to have a .md extension.

In addition, it's a Markdown editor renders to a panel, and exports to HTML.

So it sounds interesting.  It is the fourth generation of similar software
by the developer, so he has a lot of experience in getting right.  Also,
it's an open source project, hosted on GitHub -

https://github.com/dvorka/mindforger