Dan Nicholson wrote:

So, am I to gather from Matt and DJ that udevstart won't work
correctly from udev-084?  Or just that it's not installed by default?

It's not installed by default, basically because it's now deprecated. Whilst compiling and installing it is an option available to us, I'd prefer to find a non-deprecated way of populating /dev. I can't immediately see any drawbacks to Joe's suggestion, but now that I've just gone and tempted fate I'm sure someone will come up with something :-)

Regards,

Matt.