On 12-Feb-07, at 3:38 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:

> Toby Thain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> was heard to say:
>
>> I wish Sourceforge would deprecate tarballs entirely and just use Svn
>> tags. It seems (from another project I'm on, at least) that the
>> tarball is always woefully out of date.
>>
>> My advice - go ahead and make a new release.
>>

> Well, we'd have to move to subversion first in order to make use of
> SVN tags.
>
> I'm afraid that "releasing" SVN tags instead of tarballs will deter
> end-users
> who just need to satisfy some application dependency. A tarball is
> something
> familiar to non-technical Unix/Linux users, whereas subversion is
> not. Package
> maintainers are also used to build from tarball releases. Besides,
> if I find
> the time to bless a subversion revision with a stable tag, most of
> the work is
> done anyway. I can just as well build the tarball and upload it.
> This takes
> just another cup of coffee's amount of time.

Mostly agreed. The other project's problem might be that the process
of preparing the tarball is not documented and is done by one guy;
also there is a trickle of commits, so somebody has to decide when a
release is appropriate. The last tarball happened to be made at a
very bad time (and was not updated yet), so this decision process
failed us. Infrequent tarballs mean that, as I said, they're
ridiculously out of date with respect to trunk. (libdbi seems more in
"maintenance" than new development or frantic bugfixing, so it's not
really the same case as that project.)

I stopped using tarballs in my own projects some time ago, it was
only a source of problems.

> While we're at it: how do other developers and users feel about
> moving libdbi
> development to subversion? Is it worth the hassle?

Assuming I'm included in "other": My vote is yes, I'd feel more
comfortable with Svn.

In answer to Claudiu:

> Why don't you release SVN tags and make tarballs, also? It's a good
> idea
> to have a tag in SVN... ie: if you want to make a quick diff from the
> previous release version to trunk?

  Tag *must* be done when a tarball is made, I don't see that as
optional.

--Toby