On Oct 2, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Eleanor Saitta <e...@dymaxion.org> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> On 2014.10.02 20.39, Greg wrote:
> > There are different types of deniable encryption systems, with
> > very _different_ deniability properties.
>
> What you're failing to see here, I think, is that your adversary is
> almost never a cryptographer.  You adversary is a goon who likes to
> crush fingers, who's heard a rumor that your tool lets people hide
> things from him.
>
> He doesn't like it when people hide things from him.
>
> He thinks you're hiding something from him.
>
> He's going to keep crushing your fingers until you prove to him that
> you aren't.
>
> You don't have that many fingers left.

I see all of that.

Stop telling me what I fail to see.

Have you read everything in the reddit r/security link I sent you?

You have two possible defensible stances based on everything you have said so
far:

1. Activists shouldn't encrypt any data whatsoever.
2. Activists should use Espionage-style PD if they are going to choose to use
encryption.

This is logic. Logic applies to everyone, regardless of whether they are
cryptographers, thugs, or people who fail to understand logic.

> Real-world field experience is the only reasonable and reliable guide
> for determining the appropriate design of security systems; anything
> else is at best a amateur[1].  For novel capabilities, *careful* field
> testing in moderate risk environments is necessary to establish a
> baseline.  Building a real loop with existing training programs to
> ensure that you get field feedback when systems are used is similarly
> critical.

Feel free to forward concrete suggestions to the emails I've previously
provided you with.

We have no intention to simulate breaking somebody's fingers. If you know of a
way to do that in an "ethical" way, please forward those ideas to my Inbox.

Kind regards,
Greg Slepak

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.