Frank Reichert wrote:

Good evening again, folks!

I wasn't originally a huge fan of Harriet Miers. Maybe, I'm finally becoming one right now just based upon the horrendous corruption and ineptitude of American politics! Honestly!

I can't believe that the normal 'Joe Six-Pack' American doesn't find some problem in the way all of this was handled. Perhaps she was more honest, and even qualified, to serve on the bench, than all of the left and right winged politicians, special interest groups, and self-serving bureaucratic sleaze bags that control such major events in our own time.

This is a sorry, sorry time in our own history folks. How could such things come to this?

I have to conclude that we actually live in a society that stands for nothing other than our own parochial ideals anymore. We don't believe in words, or that words have any meaning. We have no standards to judge anything other than obtuse soundbites.

This is indeed sad.

Kindest regards,
Frank

I have to wonder whether it is reasonable to believe anything any politician says, other than, "I will raise your taxes" or "I will expand the power of the state." Pennsylvania has a GOP dominated legislature that is talking about cutting taxes back to where they were when the GOP-dominated legislature raised them - at Dem. Gov. Rendell's request. People seem to routinely spend whole careers as conservatives, only to switch to liberal once they leave office, after a career of acting half conservative, half liberal (especially on spending). Obviously they felt they had to talk like conservatives to win, but clearly they didn't believe what they said. I don't believe these "road to Damascus" conversions happen very often, certainly not as often as they appear to.

Doug Friedman