Frank Reichert wrote:

Good evening again, Doug!

WOW! This is a good as it gets folks. Frank Reichert actually discussing real
issues again on Liberty Northwest with Douglas Friedman.  This is indeed a
real pleasure to be sure.

Thanks for the compliment.

You are right on target here with a lot of things.  Mostly, it doesn't
honestly matter when politicians run for office when the expediency of knowing that they live in a largely Democrat or Republican State. For those seriously wishing to win a race, they most likely will shift at a moments notice to the
Party that would most likely win, and spend a lot of corporate big bucks in
doing so.

Sure, if there's a one-party area, I can understand that. Thus in New York City, a conservative like Dov Hikind (maybe Bob Goodman will correct me on this) always ran as a Democrat. Elsewhere, I think he would have been Republican. But that wasn't my point. Even in contested areas, people who are liberals pose as conservative Republicans, sometimes for decades. Then, when they no longer are running for anything, "out" themselves as liberals.

Forget about the so-called 'Libertarian Card'.  Truth is:

The interesting thing about all of this delusion is that in Hawaii, you simply cannot win on a GOP ticket. In Idaho, mostly, you cannot win UNLESS you are
somehow beholden and find your way onto the GOP ticket.  So, what do you
really have here?  You have mindless aggressive politicians who play the
corporate card, and find your way onto a winning ticket that most likely has a
chance to win.

Of course, Hawaii, like Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut and New York, has a Republican governor. And Democrats have won in states like Wyoming and Utah. Odd that people are more willing to vote for a member of the opposite party for governor than for legislator.

Ultimately:

Do you want to win a race? Run the populist, not the ideological route, and
appeal to the greed and and plunder of the Democratic mob.  That's usually
most always a sure thing.

But see that's the opposite of my whole point. I wouldn't be as bothered if what you said were true.

My point was that people run and win by using the exact opposite appeal that you suggest. To win in my part of central PA, you have to sound pretty conservative. Thus, our Dem. rep, who got gerrymandered in here and won because his GOP opponent basically dropped out of the race 3 yrs. ago while still on the ballot, does his best to sound like a conservative, at least on social and law-and-order issues. Our state rep voted against the legislative pay raise that has PA politics in turmoil, against the tax increase backed by the GOP Speaker and does not run campaigns appealing to the "greed and plunder." Our state senator, currently waging a long-shot bid for governor, has a similar record. Both profess a "cut taxes and spending" position and have records that back that up.

But 10 years from now, when they retire, will they suddenly decide they're liberals after all? Maybe not since even here no one will care what they think once they're out of office, but look at how many nationally known politicians spend whole careers as tax cutters, spending hawks, etc. only to switch sides after retiring. My point is that it seems that nearly all politicians are really liberals, only some of them pose as conservatives or libertarians to win.

Doug