Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 21:39:15 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Libretto floppy drive install?

From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'll post this, and then try again using the instructions in the README in the L110FDD8.exe archive Lee pointed to.

Oh man... I tried all kinds of approaches too numerous for me to document right now. In the end I failed miserably at each. I restored the file names for the original FDD drivers I had renamed to disable them, and for a moment after rebooting thought I'd really $#%!ed my own setup. Windows 98SE wants to fall back on a driver named "Toshiba PCMCIA Floppy' which I wasn't able to make operational.

But with my original drivers in place, I went to the error icon for the FDD driver in DM, went to Properties > Update driver > Update Wizard > Search for a better driver > Specify location (my path was already there). The next window reported I already had the best driver installed. But I selected the 2nd option below which was something like "Select other location". In there was an option to set up the "Y-E Data External FDD (Libretto)" with the correct path to the folder with my extracted FDD drivers. Because I just restored the correct file names, the floppy finally was re-enabled. These were the driver files I renamed to disable:

C:\Windows\System\iosubysy\Flbfd.pdr
C:\Windows\Cabs\Flbfd.pdr

I had tried that same method several times, but I had disabled the existing files by renaming them to Flbfd.pd_, and the process failed to enable the FDD each time. With the original file names corrected, the drive finally was re-enabled.

The only two files the L100 FDD seems to have set up to work are:

C:\Windows\System\iosubysy\Flbfd.pdr
C:\Windows\System\VMM32\IOS.vxd

But IOS.vxd is needed for more than just the FDD. I renamed it, and Windows failed to boot complaining it was missing. I had to rename it in DOS and reboot.

So I don't know what the answer is for setting up the correct Win98(SE) L100 FDD drivers once the incorrect drivers are installed. After removing the driver in DM and attempting to install new ones, Windows continually auto-finds several drivers that always fail to enable the FDD. Even when I disabled the last file Windows was finding, C:\Windows\inf\other\Y-E Datafldfd.inf, and finally getting Windows to access it's \Win98 files and ask for the correct path to the drivers, it still didn't set up that Flbfd.pdr file where it had been originally working. The result was an error icon in DM, and details on the drivers showed a path to a non-existant Flbfd.pdr with no path at all in front of it. And it wasn't in the C: root. I tried putting one there and rebooting, but that failed too.

Maybe someone else has worked this all out. I'd sure like to know what the answer is for future reference.

Matt

Libretto list info: