>> I want to crop my images based on a common background, I mean I
>> have a series of images with a common background, on which only a
>> few things change, for eg. only the text changes, I want to know
>> whether is there an xtra or a s/w which will crop my images based on
>> the changes alone i.e. the resultant images should have only the
>> changes, yanking out the common background. Thanks in advance.
>
> There's a feature in Debabelizer just for handling this situation (I
> know, because I requested the feature). Given two images, the
> background, and the one with the changes on it, Debab will save out
> each changed area as a separate picture. The feature is called
> Islands, which was my name for it, because when you look at the parts
> that have changed, they are little islands of information. There are
> settings in there that will let you specify how far away something
> has to be to be considered an island. That helps solve the problem of
> rogue pixels that are separated by a pixel or two from the main group.
>
> You can manually solve the problem in Director too. Do this:
>
> take a copy of the version with the changes, and paste it onto a copy
> of the background, with Reverse ink
>
> lasso select what you now have, and Fill in black (click on the
> bucket in the tools area at the top of the paint window
>
> choose the select tool, set the No Shrink
>
> select an area of the picture that is bigger than the area of the
> original picture, making sure the ink is set to Normal while you do
> this
>
> copy
>
> go to a copy of the full picture, and paste the image onto it, with
> the ink set to Lightest
>
> What you should have by this stage is the islands of areas that are
> different between the two pictures. Just duplicate that and manually
> delete the parts of each that you don't need.

I missed this thread because I've been away, but (with a lot of help from
Colin, actually - and Werner Sharp as well), I made a Dir utility that does
this kind of thing through imaging lingo. It's not fully tested, but should
at least get you on the right track. If you still need help with that, let
me know.

-Kurt