> It appears, that his dogma could also be described as "never pass
> data between objects".
> I suspect that he is somehow beating around the bush, and avoids
> mentioning the levels at which data will necessarily start flowing
> between objects. His "let the textObject do its own rendering into
> the passed window"... how will the textObject tell the window what
> render, if data isn't passed to the WindowObject???

well... isn't the QT member object telling the QTMovieObject to start
& stop & thus passing data? let's not get extreme here <grin>

> "Is" the slider a QT object?
> I think not, and then you shouldn't have inheritance.

I agree

> There can exist an "aggregate" relation between the objects, in this
> case it would make sense to say that the QtObject "can" have a
slider.
> I think that maybe the aggregate object is significant in relation
> "the level" at which data can start flowing.
> Is it OK to let data flow between subObjects of the same
> aggregate metaObject?
> In which case, it wouldn't make sense to prohibit the qtObject and
> the slider to exchange data.?

no it definitely wouldn't make sense to restrict them from sharing
data, at least in one direction. if you move the slider, it needs to
call the jumpToPosition method and pass the desired position. correct?
the only way around this would be if the slider behavior contained all
the methods required to control the movie. not only would that be
redundent, it would make for code maintainance issues, which I hope
that OOP would obvite. using a callback functionality in the
QTMovieObject, as Brennan suggested, would allow it to update all
other objects/behaviors that cetain things have changed.

> The sprite inherits from multiple behaviors. This is AFAIK the
*only*
> place in Lingo, where we have "multiple inheritance". The weakness
of
> the model, is that we cannot subclass the sprite, and override
events
> from the score.
> Bad!

agreed.

Al Hospers
CamberSoft, Inc.
al<at>cambersoft<dot>com
http://www.cambersoft.com

Shockwave and Director development, Lingo programming, CGI scripting.

A famous linguist once said:
"There is no language wherein a double
positive can form a negative."

YEAH, RIGHT