From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 12:48 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Linux community, was Re: Demo of OpenSolaris running on
Systemz

On Thursday, 11/29/2007 at 06:42 EST, Anton Britz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation  but my background is IBM and maybe I am
still
> trying to get use to "the need to change" everything to a Hierarchal
file
> structure and many Linux's, below VM.

You sound as though you think IBM (or someone else) is trying to get you
to convert z/OS to Linux.  No dice.  IBM would simply like you to
consider
consolidating your distributed servers onto a mainframe using Linux and
z/VM. Or instead of growing the server farm physically, grow it
virtually!

> VM, the operating system we all tossed out of the "Big Computer
Center"
> window in the 70's..

and the 80s, and the 90s.

> Based on the "Google Story" and "The History" of Linux, they are not
> competing with SRM/WLM or HSM or RACF etc. but with the escalating
> Infrastructure cost of "The Big Computer" center.

Exactly right.

> Maybe this was because of the introduction of Escalating Software
prices
> every time you upgrade the Hardware but the Magician behind the
curtain,
was
> always IBM.

Several years ago VM pricing was changed to be a one-time charge per CPU
without regard to the size of the CPU.  The same is true for Linux
middleware marketed by IBM.  (And see the references to IFLs, a cheaper
CPU type.)  You can upgrade the h/w and you don't incur any additional
software cost unless you add CPUs.

The cost of z/OS, however, remains tied to the capacity of the machine.

> Now you are asking us again, to trust IBM... move your Linux Servers
onto
> our boxes and we will take care of you.

I will admit that there were some IBM salespeople with egg on their
faces
because they whispered "get rid of VM" in the few years before Linux
appeared.

> In the mean time, we have to gradually "interlace" Linux with zOS,
duplicate
> "Scheduling software", "Accounting" packages etc. because IBM and zOS
has
> failed us.

You're ignoring the fact that you already using scheduling and
accounting
packages on your distributed systems.  THEY aren't [necessarily] tied to
z/OS and there's no reason to do so just because Linux is on z.  Until
the
management software stack becomes more ... "hypervisor aware", you do on
zLinux the same things you do on x86 Linux.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott