Subject: Re: z/VM page space
From: David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
Date: Thu, June 16, 2011 11:59 pm
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

On 6/16/11 7:36 PM, "David Kreuter" <dkreu...@vm-resources.com> wrote:

>evil thought. Come up without paging space - paging early life will go
>to spool. Have the autolog
>machine bring up the real page volumes.

Hmm. You know, that might just work in these days of gigabyte real
memory
configurations. Still no way to force CP to move the pages once they're
out there, but we change our spool volumes even less frequently than we
do
page, and we probably don't really care so much with a small spillover
into spool.

It's been a while since I've tried that, and I don't remember whether CP
tries hard to get that stuff out of the spool areas when more paging
space
becomes available.

> Moving spool a whole 'nuther
>thing - so who cares?

Apparently nobody but me. 8-) Ask Neale -- this happens all the time
here.
He patiently listens to me think out loud. But, a "what if" that could
avoid a full IPL seems interesting...

-- db

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or