> Our management is considering the acquisition of a new z114 "sandbox"
> system primarily for testing new hardware (DASD and tape). They would
> also like to conduct a z/Linux POC using the same machine. I know that
> z/Linux can run in native mode on a System z processor but I wasn't sure
> about it running side by side with z/OS. Can this be done using PR/SM and
> building separate LPARs on the z114 for running z/Linux and z/OS together
> on the same machine?

Yes, although you won't like it much, and the cost case advantage pretty much
vanishes for one or two systems.

>  I know that the most sensible solution would
> probably be to get a z/VM hypervisor and run z/OS and z/Linux as guest
> operating systems under it. However, there's a lot of resistance here to
> running yet another operating system such as z/VM.

The first time they see you create a complete duplicate of your running
environment for a test without requiring down time for the box or complex
IOCP/IODF mucking about, and that is possible to do during the day with
everything else going on, that resistance goes away very quickly. Consider also
the ability to move running Linux systems from LPAR to LPAR without skipping a
beat, and it gets easier and easier to make the case. Virtual sysplexes. The
list goes on and on.

> Any comments, advice, etc.?

While you *can* do Linux in LPARs, you lose so much in manageability that it's
not a good idea.

Ask the powers that be why they buy VMWare for Intel systems. Then use that
justification for VM.