On Thursday, 07/26/2012 at 09:48 EDT, "van Sleeuwen, Berry"
<berry.vansleeu...@atos.net> wrote:
> I don't think it's wise to have z/VM running Linux and z/OS load in the
same
> LPAR. Reason for this would be a license issue. The CP costs more than
an IFL
> and when running z/OS and Linux in the same LPAR you might have to pay a
z/OS
> license fee for the Linux load you run. So at the very least, use two
LPARs,
> one with a CP for z/OS and one with an IFL for Linux. (and preferably
z/VM in
> the Linux LPAR)

The z10, z196, and z114 all have z/VM-mode LPARs.  This allows all engine
types to be placed in the LPAR.  Linux guest can run on IFLs, z/OS guests
(for testing maybe) can run on CPs, and virtual coupling facility can run
on real CFs.  zIIPs and zAAPs are in there, too, for use by the z/OS
guests.

This addresses much of the z/OS pricing issue for mixed z/OS and Linux
workloads, but be aware that the price of z/VM itself will include ALL of
the CPs on the box (in addition to the IFLs, of course), regardless of how
many are being used in the z/VM-mode LPARs.  If that seems unreasonable
for your particular configuration, take it up with your salesman.

By "much of" I mean that running z/OS on z/VM isn't free.  If you have
subcapacity z/OS pricing, then you still have to run SCRT in the z/OS
virtual machines, too.  Further, the master VM processor will always be a
CP in this configuration, as CPs are the "primary" CPU type, so it won't
be just z/OS using the CPs.  (At least one CP must be in a z/VM mode
LPAR.)

All that to say that the wisdom from the Before Times no longer applies.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556