Hi David.

Just as Alan Altmark points out, check the pricing model carefully first.
We run z/VM in two separate LPARs only using IFLs, which seems to be the
most cost-effective solution.
It works very well, we are just a few persons managing nearly 200 zLinux
servers here.
Be prepared for the question: How much does a 4 core cpu with 24GB memory cost ?
You will end up with the answer: It depends :-) And: You don't need 4 cores and
you definitely not need 24GB, and
anyhow you don't need to bother about these values because we will monitor and
config it right for you. ( you might have to phrase it 'nicer' )
In this case don't forget to inform that because they probably need three
machines the total cost for all three will be very cost comparative to an
'identical' x86 setup.
They need Test,QA and Prod, and they should be identical. Here you will get the
test and QA very cheap if you charge for usage, because they will often just
idle.

This fact only will often make the z environment very cost effective compared
to x86.

If they also have critical applications they will need(should want!) duplicate
prod servers with a load balancer in front. This makes the deal even better.

And do not forget to tell them the delivery time! Hours or minutes, instead of
weeks !

BR /Tore

Tore Agblad
System programmer, Volvo IT certified IT Architect
Volvo Information Technology
IMO Mainframe Databases & zOpen Gothenburg
Dept.  DE56430
SE-405 08, Gothenburg  Sweden
Telephone: +46-31-3233569
E-mail: tore.agb...@volvo.com