From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:27:45 GMT

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
>
> > Ha ha, shit!
> > Give Bill Gates another 10 years and Windows will probably
> > be another NIX if he had it his way!
> >
> > Charlie
>
> You mean you think his pre-NT marketing claim of 'better unix
> than unix' might someday come true?     Want to buy a bridge?
>
>   Les Mikesell
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

He keeps heading that way.
In 10 years time he will probably have the 64 bit equivalent of Linux
1.8.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: An entire morning wasted on a Linux install.
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:19:12 GMT

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Many thanks to Jim for the script/command line version of these
commands.

Just for the record, there are several GUI tools for configuring
the network as well.  These include netconfig(Red Hat), linuxconf
(everybody), DrakConf (Mandrake), and YAST (SuSE).  In addition,
once you get your ethernet card set up, you can use a web browser
to configure Linux as well.

Try them all, you'll probably find one that you like particularly
well. (I like linuxconf because I know it's on all distributions).

[snip]

--
Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:32:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Stop wasting my time liar....
>
> You have been exposed as a BULLSHIT ARTIST
>
> claire

Humm.

> On 24 Oct 2000 20:07:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> I was simply asking him to prove his statement, I don't know if it is
> >> true or not.
> >
> >You wouldnt understand the proof even if it did exist.  Ive explained the
> >quality of its existance in two other posts.  Read them.

> >> He chose to BS ( in another thread) and unfortunately he got caught
> >> tossing around terms he knows nothing about.
> >
> >Actually, you tossed them around first and then some guy came to
> >your rescue and started writing your posts for you so that you didnt
> >look like a TOTAL retard, but merely a moronic fool.
>
> I didn't, toss them around. I know exactly what they are and had a
> civil discussion with Gary about it.
>
> You jumped in spewing BULLSHIT and got caught.

Well...

> Believe me I don't need anybody to post for me.

Okay...

> >> I don't try to argue programming, or network servers, because "hello.c
> >> was as far as I got.
> >
> >And since a soundblaster is as far as youve gotten with hardware, perhaps
> >you should leave its discussion to qualified people.
>
> You have a real difficult time reading post's don't you.

Well, no, ah.

> TWO digital audio cards...

ah hugh...

> Read it again, or at least get somebody to read it to you.

Okay I did.

> >> yttrx lies, lies and lies again. He gets caught all the time.
> >
> >Name some.
>
> The entire VM/RAS/PSSP thread....
>
> Boy do you look like an asshole on that one.....

> claire

Well, I'm sorry Claire.

> >Go on, claire.  Put em up.
> >
> >Heres some things that are apparantly true:
> >
> >1. you have no linux experience
>
> Sure do..
> >2. you have no bsd experience
>
> True. But I never said I did..I don't need to BULLSHIT like YOU DO.
> >3. you have no UNIX experience
>
> AIX.
> >4. you are a moron
>
> I don't make statements I can't back up. You do though.
> >5. people type for you so that you appear to be more intelligent than a devilled
>egg.
>
> At 2:00 in the morning?
> I must have a lot of friends.
>
> I've heard some convoluted attempts at reasoning in COLA, but having
> somebody type for someone else has to be a first.
>
> Is that what you do?
> >6. your opinions are useless
>
> Maybe. But they are backed up with facts and yours are not.
>
> LIAR.
>
> claire
>

> >-----.

Would you two just like to crawl off some a hotel nearby and
just fuck each other silly for about 2 hours and then
come back here.

What is this anyway!

You guy's have got me rolling here.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:19:19 GMT

"2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Now, fixing that is not a bit deal...I add a line to lilo.conf that says:
> > >
> > > append = "mem=163264k"
> >
> > Note: If you get this wrong, KERNEL PANIC...
>

> No shit Sherlock!
>
> Guess what? If I put random crap in the registry, then BLUE SCREEN.
>
> Guess this makes windows real shitty...

No, because you wouldn't have cause to go in and edit the registry
for basic OS functionality, which Linux lacks.

In Linux, I am forced to edit my lilo.conf which teeters on the
brink of OS failure because the OS is too dumb to detect the
basic geometry of the system.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:35:24 GMT

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Charlie Ebert wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > I was simply asking him to prove his statement, I don't know if it is
> > > true or not.
> > >

> > FreeBSD is the FASTEST OPERATING SYSTEM in the WORLD.
> > It just runs away from Linux 2.2 kernels.
> >
> > It still walks away from a linux 2.4 kernel but not fast enough for
> > me to give up all my driver support for the hardware.
> >
> > FreeBSD is limited on hardware support where Linux practically
> > supports everything Windows does today.  There is little left
> > Linux doesn't support.
> >
> > FreeBSD just has that hangup BSD license which would theoretically
> > allow BSDI to close the source and that's why I don't trust it.
> >
> > Linux uses GNU/GPL and you can trust that license.
> >
> > It's just that simple.
> >

> That's pretty much it, bottom line, isn't it?.  Sometimes I wish *BSD
> was as popular or more so, but it isn't.  Whatever the reason, whether
> it is the past strings to AT&T, past court problems, or the license,
> Linux has the momentum right now, and it's snowballing.

I don't think I would have much argument for the performance of FreeBSD.
FreeBSD could wip Linux's ass in a heartbeat.  Linux could support more
hardware than FreeBSD however and has a better license.

But FreeBSD is a bolt of lightning and it's only it's license which
holds it back.  That's it.

> > Now if somebody would just explain to me WHY Yahoo is dumping
> > FreeBSD in favor of Linux then I would know everything....
> >
> > Why the Google contract?

> > > He chose to BS ( in another thread) and unfortunately he got caught
> > > tossing around terms he knows nothing about.
> > >
> > > I don't try to argue programming, or network servers, because "hello.c
> > > was as far as I got.
> > > Even Ebert at least post's proof, albeit sometimes a little stretched,
> > > of his comments.
> > >
> > > yttrx lies, lies and lies again. He gets caught all the time.
> > >
> > > claire

> --
> Surprise!  You are the lucky winner of random I.R.S. Audit!  Just type
> in your name and social security number.  Please remember that leaving
> the room is punishable under law:
>
> Name    #

How did Claire get on this one!

I thought I was talking to a dude on here!

Tim Hanson I thought!

Would you people just stay in your own threads please!

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:36:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:15:21 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >FreeBSD is the FASTEST OPERATING SYSTEM in the WORLD.
> >It just runs away from Linux 2.2 kernels.
> >
> >It still walks away from a linux 2.4 kernel but not fast enough for
> >me to give up all my driver support for the hardware.
>
> That's fine with me but where are some facts to back this up? I
> believe the original poster said FBSD runs Linux applications faster
> than Linux?
>
> Where is some proof of this?
>
> claire

I'll admit that.  It's true.

We don't need a magazine link for that one.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:39:06 GMT

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> El mar, 24 oct 2000, Charlie Ebert escribió:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> I was simply asking him to prove his statement, I don't know if it is
> >> true or not.
> >>

> >FreeBSD is the FASTEST OPERATING SYSTEM in the WORLD.
> >It just runs away from Linux 2.2 kernels.
> >
> >It still walks away from a linux 2.4 kernel but not fast enough for
> >me to give up all my driver support for the hardware.
> >
> >FreeBSD is limited on hardware support where Linux practically
> >supports everything Windows does today.  There is little left
> >Linux doesn't support.
> >
> >FreeBSD just has that hangup BSD license which would theoretically
> >allow BSDI to close the source and that's why I don't trust it.
>
> You know, BSDi can not do such a thing at all. BSDi can stop publishing their
> own version of BSD (which is not FreeBSD anyway), but they can't stop you or me
> from publishing our own.
>
> The danger of source-closing is greatly exaggerated, usually by the FSF for
> political purposes, I believe.
>
> --
> Roberto Alsina

Well, I take their commentary with a grain of salt anyway.

But when Apple builds Mac OSX on top of FreeBSD and the
copyright's it, there's PROOF right there.  Don't know what
else we really need here.  They took a free BSD project and
via it's license turned into proprietary code.

But they still don't have the POWER nor the TRUST of the
GNU and their GPL license.

IBM will NEVER dump code their way.  HP will NEVER dump code
their way.

Linux is developed by about 200,000 people.

FreeBSD's scope is much smaller.   I'd guess under 500 people
actually work on it.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Beats NT!
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:40:52 GMT

John Hughes wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
> >
> > I have to agree.
> >
> > Microsoft Web servers account for less than 10% of the worlds web servers.
> > Apache is 6 times their size in useage.
> >
> > We are also not accounting for EASE of HACKNESS here.
> >

> Netcraft showed that it was around 36%.
>
> Where do you get < 10% from?

The IDC reported that Microsoft WEB servers accounted for
like 7% of the world market.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:50:13 GMT

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:10:06 GMT, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>Claire_lynn has many times come down against linux and in favor of
>Microsoft.  This being said, I'll play with her like she's not
>a troll.
>
>> > IBM Thinkpad 765L with 3 gig blank un partitioned hard disk.
>
>I've installed on a 760, 600, 600E, and several other thinkpads.
>The 765 is supposed to support Linux.

It does and did.

>> > Sigma Data 24x CDROM (says IBM certified on label) in Ultrabay.
>
>Again, this should work normally.

Not if you want to boot from CD and not using a boot disk either. SuSE
worked from Boot disk. RH and Mandrake did not.

>> > USR PCMCIA 56K modem.
>
>This could be risky.  Let's assume for the moment that this is
>not a winmodem and actually has a UART interface.

Worked fine.

>> > Linksys Cardbus PCMCIA Ethernet card.
>
>This used to be a problem.  The thinkpad didn't support cardbus
>very well.  You should get a regular PCMCIA card.  I've had this
>problem myself, and it messed up both Linux and Windows NT.

Worked fine.

>> > 64 Meg memory.
>
>Should be enough for a nice workstation.

128 might speed thing up a little.

>> > And one friend who asked me to install Linux, no particular
>> > distribution in mind. Just something "nice" so he can try Linux.
>
>Let's put in a fetw qualifiers.
>
>> Bullshit.....
>
>Let's be polite.  We don't want to impress the lurkers with our
>bad manners :-).
>

>> > I try Mandrake 7.x as my first choice
>> > and slap the CD in only to
>> > discover this particular machine
>> > will not boot from the CD no matter
>> > what I do in the BIOS.
>
>And you're sure that the CD-ROM was good.  Specifically, could you
>boot a Windows NT or Windows 95 installation CD.  You can set the
>boot order from the BIOS interface.  Hold down F2 while booting
>to get to the bio dialogues.

No. The CDROM won't boot any CD, not just Linux ones.

>> > Ok so I follow the somewhat screwed up
>> > directions and make a boot diskette. Still the CDROM doesn't get
>> > recognized despite trying every *.img file on the CD.
>
>This is a warning!  It sounds like you may have had bad media.  Did
>you get this CD from CheapBytes or LinuxMall?

CheapBytes sampler pack.
CD's are good because I have installed them in other machines.

>Did you call the help-desk?  LinuxCare provides installation support
>for the first 30 days.  You might need to install CDrom.

No. I called you guys :)

>> > Ok so now I
>> > figure maybe Mandrake is screwy so I try RedHat 6.2 and get similar
>> > results.
>
>This is very wierd.  It sounds like you were either using bad media
>or the media was burned on a cheap burner that turned the drive into
>a coaster.  Also, the CD-ROM may not have been created as a bootable
>CD-ROM (I've frequently had this problem with LinuxMall $2 CDs)

For some reason the Boot disks would not recognize the CDROM. SuSE's
versions (6.4) worked fine.

>Without knowing the source and nature of the media, it's a bit hard
>to guess what the problem might be..

It's up and running now.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:45:41 +1000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:39f77726$2$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>

> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:39f55081$1$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Are
> >you
> >>
> >> You're the idiot if you think that all of us are stupid enough to think
> >your
> >> constant cheerlead ing for M$ is done for some altruistic reason.  --
You
> >are
> >> either paid for it, or are suffering from some mental deficiency that
> >compels
> >> you to have vicarious relationship with bill gates and support him for
> >free.
> >> Which is it jackass?
>
> >You have a real weird idea of what "cheerleading" is.  Go and read some
Derek
> >Currie posts - that's "cheerleading".
>
> Expecting you -- who is an M$ user-lover, to understand the statement --
is
> sort of like expecting the CIA to understand why people want to know about
> their failures.

My impression of the average OS/2 advocate remains unchanged....

*plonk*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 26 Oct 2000 01:06:07 GMT

Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> On Wed, 25 Oct 2000 01:15:21 GMT, Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >FreeBSD is the FASTEST OPERATING SYSTEM in the WORLD.
>> >It just runs away from Linux 2.2 kernels.
>> >
>> >It still walks away from a linux 2.4 kernel but not fast enough for
>> >me to give up all my driver support for the hardware.
>>
>> That's fine with me but where are some facts to back this up? I
>> believe the original poster said FBSD runs Linux applications faster
>> than Linux?
>>
>> Where is some proof of this?
>>
>> claire

> I'll admit that.  It's true.

> We don't need a magazine link for that one.

Indeed.  Its one of those "experience" things.

Also, that awful netscape bus error bug which exists in the linux
version appears to completely disappear when run under linux binary
emulation under freebsd...:)

Proof of this?

It doesnt ever crash.

=====.