From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Server licensing Cost: Linux vs. NT
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:17:31 GMT

>>>That's irrelevant.
>>>

>>Reality is never irrelevant.
>
>I challenge you to find adds for people with "GCC experience using UNIX".
>
>Guess what ? You won't find any. ANd the reason why you won't find any is
>because the reecruiters do not care about the *COMPILER* you use, they
>care first about what languages you have used, second about what  type
>of programming you're familiar with (web dev, systems programming, UI
>programming), and third, what APIs you are familiar with. They couldn't
>give two sh*ts about what you used to compile your software as long as
>you have the right language, the right experience, and know the APIs.
>
>--
>Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
>elflord at panix dot com

Well, lucky for you nobody currently using Windows can read
a newspaper.  And I consider that unfair tactics.

By forcing Windows users to read a newspaper to find the
facts, you've cocked up the whole debate.

Now we will never resolve any of this.

Are you proud now.

Are you a big man now?

OF COURSE YOUR FULL OF SHIT!  Whether it be C or C++, COBOL,
or PASCAL the brand and type of development compiler used
is always mentioned in the want add's for employement.

You better feel glad nobody using Windows can read or
they'd read this.

This is possibly the stupidest comment I've ever read
in a newsgroup post.  I've thought about all the incredibly
stupid things Windows advocates have said over the years
and this has to be the absolute stupidest comment I've
ever seen one of them make to date.

It's as if this guy was FORCED to live behind his mothers
refrigerator until he was 37 and then released into
society to fend his own ways.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:07:58 +0200

"J.C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:41:19 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >"Gary Connors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Ahhh...Yet another MS brainwash victim.
> >
> >Do check again, anyone with root privileges
>
> That's the thing. Don't give just anyone free reign over a server, duh...

The people that administer the server need to have administrator/root
rights, if they don't know what they are doing, they can kill the system.
This is what we are talking about.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:15:25 GMT

The point is, I did not have to search for the proof of how Netcraft
collected the data. I already knew that it could be done, because the
numbers looked to good to be faked and I also did not think that
netcraft was making them up. It was YOU and the others that were
screaming it was impossible and now proven to be WRONG! I always said:
The fact that YOU do not know how it is done does NOT mean it CAN NOT be
done. I was right, you were wrong.

That means that BOTH netcraft and Uptimes (using different KNOWN methods
of collecting data) indicate W2K as Unstable! do you know of any thing
from production servers published by anyone that is comperable to
Netcraft and Uptimes that shows anything else???

In article <4yRZ5.6522$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9171ke$rhj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Number one, I had no intention of wasting my time looking for the
proof
> > for the likes of what I find in this group.
>
> You'd rather waste your time spouting useless conjecture and claim
it's
> fact.
>
> YOU of all people cannot make the claim of "not wasting my time" since
> that's all you do here is waste your and others time.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:42:24 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > > If you really want any user to define system wide settings, then *give
> him
> > > the rights to do so*.
> >
> > I think you are too bound to the MS concept, which is very
> > old and limited indeed. I want a flexible scheme which
> > allows me to determine selectively, as a function of the
> > particular usage of this particular PC what must be
> > protected, what doesn't need to, what is user specific and
> > what is system wide. Possibly without fiddling with an
> > abstruse Registry scheme. I always ended up in the NT
> > stations I've been using to give all users (which are always
> > myself) admin privileges in order to be able to work
> > efficiently. This disrupts completely the NT security
> > scheme, however minimal it can be.
>
> I assume that you know why this is wrong, don't you?

Yes, I know, but considering that the protection given is really
minimal, and when you're developing and testing it's practically
impossible to work otherwise, I've settled for the lesser evil.
What really I hate is to see the complete lack of consistency and logic:
the screen resolution is a system wide setup operation, reflecting to
all subsequent users, and it can be change by any user, while internet
dial-up preferences, which are normally location dependent and not user
dependent, must be individually set up for each user.

> Anyway, can you show another way to do it? Aside from having one set which
> is sytem wide and usually non-midifiable by users and one which is user
> spesific?

I'm an industrial controls system designer, I'm not a computer system
designer.
I'm expert enough to tell if something is wrong, but my background is in
a different area, so I wouldn't dare inventing a new scheme. I can tell
you for certain that the scheme used by RH linux fulfills the
requirements I had sketched, and that when I started working with it I
found very pleasant to be able to determine exactly what must be
protected and what not, so that I can work logged in as a normal user,
and I only need to switch to a root console for some special tasks, like
provide some feature to a different user, the appropriate symlink in the
home directory makes it available to that user.
Just to make a trivial example, when testing a communication program I
changed COM2 (/dev/ttyS1) to be rw for all, so that I could play with it
without need of being root.
However it's quite possible that something much better can be worked
out.

To make a comparison, think of the FAT16 or FAT32 filesystem, of the
NTFS filesystem, and try to give a look to:
http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=27&ArticleID=3455
describing NTFS as if it were something new, and to:
http://www.namesys.com/res_whol.shtml
describing reiserfs. Someone has worked out a different theory on how to
organize data on a HD, and this is a really innovative line which may
prove fruitful and interesting.

Well the same holds for preference settings. MS way is a very primitive
one, trivial and rigid, Unix way is more modern and much better, but in
a situation not dominated by a single giant, which makes fruitless any
attempt to innovate, something novel and promising can stem.

Sort of "monopoly crapware", isn't it?

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Caifornia power shortage...
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:45:20 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [...]
> > Southern China, and South Africa. The Lippo Group in China (corporate
> > arm of the Red Chinese Gov.) controls all the Chinese mining operations
> > and charges exhorbitant rates for it. The Lippo Group also donated
> > heavy sums to the 1992 and 1996 Clinton election campaigns (well, DNC
> > actually, but it was all funneled to him) and, not suprisingly,
> > Clinton declared a federal park out in the middle of the desert in
> > Utah. It just so happened to be right over one of the richest deposits
> > of this special coal.  The coal veins in S.A. are too small and disperate
> > to waste the money mining.
> >
> > > Of course, if it is scrubbed out, someone's gotta change the filters
> > > occasionally.  But one advantage of nuclear waste, AFAIK, is that
> > > it's solid.  A highly radioactive and dangerous solid, to be sure
> > > (for many many millennia) but solid nevertheless; solids are a
> > > little easier to manage, especially if encased in glass and buried
> > > somewhere in salt with a "DO NOT TOUCH UNDER PENALTY OF RADIOACTIVE DEATH"
> > > sign on the door -- one hopes our progeny can read English.
> > >
> > > One also wonders about the helium in toy baloons; helium is an
> > > alpha particle with a couple of electrons.  Now where did that
> > > helium come from?  (It's not dangerous, of course -- but there's
> > > also radon gas.  Presumably, the two are initially intermixed,
> > > although radon is a lot heavier.) [*]
> >
> > Pure helim isn't radioactive in the sense that it emits gamma rays,
> > but it will certainly remove all the oxygen from your lungs and
> > suffocate you =)
> >
> > Radon, however, is radioactive, but you knew that.
> >
> > > One big problem the nuclear program has is credibility -- and I'm not
> > > sure if that's because of Three Mile Island (Chernobyl didn't help
> > > either!), or what; the public is also apparently terrified of irradiated
> > > food, despite the increased safety thereof from a bacteriological point
> > > of view (quick, which is more dangerous, irradiated beef or beef
> > > contaminated by E. coli or salmonella?).  This is arguably stupid, but
> > > it's going to take awhile to wash the metaphorical stain out.  Certainly
> > > there are dangers -- but there are dangers to driving a car, too.
> > > We still do it.
> >
> > As much as great nuclear facilities are, the nuclear waste problem in
> > the U.S. alone is staggering. Coal power plants are becoming cleaner
> > every year and producing more power. We should build a few more around
> > the country to hold us off until the Tokomak comes online in 5-10
> > years and provides the entire world with enough electricity for decades.
> >
> > Trust me, I'm no environmentalist or tree hugger, but I'm practical.
> > Plutonium 239 has a half-life of 24,000 years or so. The only practical
> > disposal is into outer space or embedded deep in geologically stable
>
> Any salt mine will do.  The mere existance of crystalized salt proves
> that the location has no problems with ground-water infiltration

Except for the facilities at Carlsbad, NM where the US Gov managed to
ignore all advice from geologist and pick the only salt dome in the
world with a water problem. According to the DOE, the laws of physics
are mostly optional. Appearance is more important than substance.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:50:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Really?  I had a clock-radio that when "off" kept the clock on.  Very usual
> >> for its time.
>
> Note:  no response.

> >> An "off" switch that leaves 10 amps of power running isn't much of an
> >> off switch.
>
> Note:  no response.

> >> One position is "on" and the other position is "off".
>
> > The switch marked "on" and "off" on my 1903A4 Springfield is a Power
> > Switch?
>
> Show me your 1903A4 Springfield.
Next time you are in Arizona, give me a call.

> > Not all switches marked thus perform the same functions or
> > perform the same functions the same way!
>
> Irrelevant, given that I didn't say they do.
Looking at your post you definately said your concept of a power switch
has "One position is "on" and the other position is "off"."
So if that isn't your concept of a power switch, what is? And why did
you say it was your concept of a power switch? why won't my computer
fire 30-06 rounds from the magazine when the power switch is in the "on"
position.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:47:02 +0200

"JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> A low intensity 2D game using a mature version of DX will do.
>
> >Can you name one available for download?
>
> YES! You can get it from www.josephmrozek.net

Well, as expected, it didn't.
Worked perfectly.
Not a very good game, BTW.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 14 Dec 2000 00:57:13 GMT

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:17:31 GMT, Charlie Ebert wrote:

>OF COURSE YOUR FULL OF SHIT!  Whether it be C or C++, COBOL,
>or PASCAL the brand and type of development compiler used
>is always mentioned in the want add's for employement.

No it is not. You have no idea what you're talking about. See below.

[snip]

>This is possibly the stupidest comment I've ever read
>in a newsgroup post.  I've thought about all the incredibly
>stupid things Windows advocates have said over the years

I;'m not a Windows advocate. Unlike the clowns in this newsgroup,
I've contributed to the Linux community.

>and this has to be the absolute stupidest comment I've
>ever seen one of them make to date.

You are wrong. Not only can you not spell, you are insulting me on
completely false premises

Do a search for "C++" on dice.com. Here's the first page. Notice
the vast majority do NOT mention a compiler (ie you are wrong). Note that some
positions involve cross platform development.

Look at all those UNIX jobs ! Looks like I'm not going to be out of work
any time soon. (I write C++ applications for Linux/UNIX)

Position Title: C++ Consultant

     Skills required:
                        C, C++, C++ exp. in Threading, C++exp. Server Pgm

Position Title: Senior Unix / C++ Capital Markets Trading Systems Consultants

     Skills required:
                        C++, Sybase, UNIX

Position Title: Senior Unix / C++ Trading Systems Consultants

     Skills required:
                        C++, SQL, UNIX
                                     Location:
                                                        New York

Position Title: Senior Unix / C++ Capital Markets Systems Consultants

     Skills required:
                        C++, Motif, UNIX, SQL
                                     Location:
                                                        New York

Position Title: Senior C++ / Unix Financial Trading Systems Developers

     Skills required:
                        C++, Sybase, UNIX, Optional:-- JAVA
                                     Location:
                                                        New York
osition Title: Compiler Optimization, Performance Analysis, C/C++

     Skills required:
                        Compiler Optimization, Performance Analysis, C/C++

Position Title: C/C++ Programmer

     Skills required:
                        C/C++, API , SQL Server, Tivo

Position Title: C++/C Programmers

     Skills required:
                        C++ C Unix relational database oracle sybas

Position Title: Financial Systems Programmer/Analyst

     Skills required:
                        UNIX, C, SYBASE, FINANCIAL SYSTEM

Position Title: C, C++ in a Windows and Unix environment
Skills required:
                   C, C++, Windows, Unix, C++ Dynamic Library
                              Location:
                                                   Sacramento Valley

Position Title: Wireless Application Developer (C/C++, VC++)

     Skills required:
                        C, C++, Visual C++, Multithreading, Oracle 8, SQL Se

Position Title: Senior C++ Server Side Engineer
Skills required:
                   C++ on Windows, C++ on Unix, C/C++, TCP/IP
                              Location:
                                                   San Francisco

Position Title: Senior C++ Server Side Engineer

     Skills required:
                        C++ on Windows, C++ on Unix, C/C++, TCP/IP

Position Title: C/C++ Sybase Programmers

     Skills required:
                        C, C++, and Sybase programming

Position Title: Sybase, C, Unix, Financial Systems Developer

     Skills required:
                        SYBASE, C, UNIX, PERL, FINANCIAL SYSTEM

Position Title: Senior UNIX/ C++ Software Engineer ( San Francisco / 415 )

     Skills required:
                        UNIX, C, C++, linux, Apache, Raid

Position Title: Windows C++ Software Developer, Windows 95/98/NT,
C/C++ Professional

     Skills required:
                        Windows 95, Windowys 98, Windows NT, C/C+

Position Title: PROGRAMMER

     Skills required:
                        C++, Java, Solaris, OOD,UNIX

Position Title: C C++ Perl Unix Software Engineer

     Skills required:
                        C C++ Unix Perl Web Software Engineer TCL

Position Title: C Programmer

     Skills required:
                        C/C++ on Unix, SQL

Position Title: Windows C++ Senior Software Developer Windows 95/98/NT, C/C++

     Skills required:
                        Win95/98/NT/2000,Win C++

Position Title: C/C++ PROGRAMMER

     Skills required:
                        C C++ PROGRAMMER

Position Title: C/C++ Programmer

     Skills required:
                        Junior Level C/C++ Programm

Position Title: Windows C++ Lead Software Developer
Win95/98/NT/C/C++ Professional

     Skills required:
                        Windows C++, Windows 95/98/NT/20

Position Title: Strong Unix C / C++ Developer

     Skills required:
                        C / C++, UNIX, experience with complex large softwar